Old 27-06-2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Evergreen

Default Looking for advice on CO2 setup

I am looking for advice on setting up a CO2 system for my 46 gallon
freshwater tank.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good websites that describe how the
whole process actually works, as far as what equipment is needed and how it
interconnects?

Am I okay just setting the CO2 tank underneath the tank, in the aquarium
stand?

Does anyone have recommendations on a brand of equipment to buy and where
from? I have seen some kits for sale on Thatfishplace from Red Sea, but am
wondering if anyone has any opinions on those.

I have kept fish and plants for a few years now, fairly successfully, but am
new to CO2 implementation.

Any input would be appreciated for this CO2 beginner.

Old 27-06-2006, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

"Evergreen" wrote in message
I am looking for advice on setting up a CO2 system for my 46 gallon
freshwater tank.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good websites that describe how
the whole process actually works, as far as what equipment is needed and
how it interconnects?

Here's a good CO2 reference:

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/...Pressure%20CO2

Am I okay just setting the CO2 tank underneath the tank, in the aquarium
stand?

As long as you're reasonably certain the tank won't fall over.

Does anyone have recommendations on a brand of equipment to buy and where
from? I have seen some kits for sale on Thatfishplace from Red Sea, but
am wondering if anyone has any opinions on those.

I'm not familiar with the Red Sea kit, but I do know they have a bad name in
the test kit business. I bought a JBJ regulator combo
(regulator/solenoid/bubble counter/needle valve) and Milwaukee PH
controller. I picked up a 20# CO2 tank from the local fire extinguisher
refill place for about $85 CDN. Beverage gas places will also sell new/used
tanks much cheaper than the shiny mail order tanks.

The needle valve that came with the JBJ regulator could be better, as it's
difficult to keep the bubble count constant. But it doesn't really matter
since I added the PH controller. I don't know if the Milwaukee regulator
combo is any better. The nice thing about the combo is that you don't have
to worry about what goes where and it's pretty much ready to go out of the
box. You'll also need a CO2 diffuser or reactor too of course. Swee****er
diffusers are the latest rage.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Jolly Fisherman

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/
http://www.hallman.org/plant/booth1.html
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron/
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Am I okay just setting the CO2 tank underneath the tank, in the aquarium
stand?

Yes but if you're nervous about pressurized gas there's the "carbo
plus" system. AFAIK you need very hard water for it to work well.

Does anyone have recommendations on a brand of equipment to buy and where
from? I have seen some kits for sale on Thatfishplace from Red Sea, but am
wondering if anyone has any opinions on those.

Plantguild power reactor is quite efficient.
http://www.plantguild.com/html/co2.html

If you order elsewhere it is shipped from the manufacturer anyway
http://www.floridadriftwood.com/product.asp?3=147
http://www.azgardens.com/newCO22.php

A LFS owner claims the Milwaukee brand name carries little weight as
they do not actually manufacturer all components; there are other
brands that rebadge the same products.

That being said you can get Milwaukee at very good prices he
http://www.Aquatic-store.com/
or the related stores:
http://www.aquarium-plant-store.com/
http://www.co2-canisters.com/index.h...d=38670.291956
http://www.co2-cylinder.com/index.html?lmd=38670.291956

I don't know about their reputability.

You can try welding supply or large beer/beverage distributors for
cylinders & refills. Some of them will loan it to you for the price
of a fill up + refundable deposit. This is good because you won't
need to re certify the cylinder later on. For me, locally, this is a
very expensive deposit.

I have kept fish and plants for a few years now, fairly successfully, but am
new to CO2 implementation.

Any input would be appreciated for this CO2 beginner.

know and possibly adjust your hardness esp KH before starting.

A pH controller, meter, or tester like "Live pH" makes some sense to
me. Unfortunately I find "Live pH" difficult to read and its not
supposed to be hung under strong light. You have to replace it every
month so before you know it an actual meter is economical.

Also, IMHO, automated pressurized CO2 is a very expensive way to go
for a mere 46 gal tank- unless this is just a "learning tank".