GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My own question about fluorescent lighting.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/147454-my-own-question-about-fluorescent-lighting.html)

[email protected] 06-07-2006 04:33 PM

My own question about fluorescent lighting....

Hi, I've been reading here for a while and now have a question. I have
a t12 25 or 40 watt shoplight fixture (48 inches) on one of mytanks, is
it true I can use t8 bulbs with it as well (I am assuming the t8 bulbs
would be required to be 48 inches long and 25 or 40 watts in power)?
Please confirm - thanks all!

Richard Sexton 06-07-2006 05:52 PM

My own question about fluorescent lighting....

In article .com,
wrote:
Hi, I've been reading here for a while and now have a question. I have
a t12 25 or 40 watt shoplight fixture (48 inches) on one of mytanks, is
it true I can use t8 bulbs with it as well (I am assuming the t8 bulbs
would be required to be 48 inches long and 25 or 40 watts in power)?
Please confirm - thanks all!

Nope. I wish I could say so authoritatively but I'm not 100% aware of the
reason. I *think* it's because there's different striking and burn voltages
and frequencies. Maybe somebody can confirm.

Wright Huntley knows for sure. It might be in the APD archives. God knows
everything else is.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Marco Schwarz 06-07-2006 09:26 PM

My own question about fluorescent lighting....

Hi..

Hmm.., as far as I remember we continental Europeans used
those thicker tubes until the 70s (80s?) and that we were
later able to use newer (and thinner) T8 tubes in our old
lamps..

http://fm.atalink.co.uk/articles/article-161.phtml

HTH.
--
cu
Marco

Richard Sexton 06-07-2006 11:49 PM

My own question about fluorescent lighting....

In article ,
Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

Hmm.., as far as I remember we continental Europeans used
those thicker tubes until the 70s (80s?) and that we were
later able to use newer (and thinner) T8 tubes in our old
lamps..

http://fm.atalink.co.uk/articles/article-161.phtml

You can drive T12 tubes with a T8 ballast but not vice versa
if I read this correctly.

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00240.html

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Paul R 07-07-2006 12:51 AM

My own question about fluorescent lighting....

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I've been reading here for a while and now have a question. I have
a t12 25 or 40 watt shoplight fixture (48 inches) on one of mytanks, is
it true I can use t8 bulbs with it as well (I am assuming the t8 bulbs
would be required to be 48 inches long and 25 or 40 watts in power)?
Please confirm - thanks all!

T8 tubes can be used in "standard" fluorescent fittings... been using them
for decades, just swapped over to "normal" electronic ballasts for my new
tank.... with T8s !!!

George Pontis 12-07-2006 07:31 PM

wrote:

Hi, I've been reading here for a while and now have a question. I have
a t12 25 or 40 watt shoplight fixture (48 inches) on one of mytanks,
is it true I can use t8 bulbs with it as well (I am assuming the t8
bulbs would be required to be 48 inches long and 25 or 40 watts in
power)? Please confirm - thanks all!

It depends on the ballast in the fixture. If it is an electronic
ballast then the T8 tubes will probably work just fine. The ballast
label may list combinations that will work with it. The old style,
heavy magnetic ballast will probably not strike the lamps reliably,
especially at low line voltage or colder temperatures. It would not
hurt to try.

As far as power ratings, the difference between a 32W T8 and a 40W T12
is insignificant. Some enthusiasts have found that they can overdrive
32W T8s to double the normal power with good results. If you would
consider replacing the ballast in the shoplight fixture then this might
be a good alternative. You can find more info by searching the web for
overdrive and flourescent.