Old 07-07-2006, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dan

Default Removing sand in planted aquarium

Looking for advice:

I have a heavily planted 75 gallon aquarium with about a 1.5 to 2 inch layer
of Flourite on the bottom of it. On top of the Flourite is an inch to 1.5
inches of sand. I have had it this way for about a year now. The sand is a
real pain to keep clean without disturbing it too much. What I want to do
is somehow remove it and replace it with about 1.5 inches of pebble gravel.
In this way I will better be able to clean it without having a big
disturbance inside the aquarium. Does anyone have any ideas how I can
remove this sand without disturbing the waters too much and then replacing
it with the pebble gravel. Your advice is appreciated.

Dan

Old 07-07-2006, 10:50 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:50:38 -0600, "Dan" wrote:

Looking for advice:

I have a heavily planted 75 gallon aquarium with about a 1.5 to 2 inch layer
of Flourite on the bottom of it. On top of the Flourite is an inch to 1.5
inches of sand. I have had it this way for about a year now. The sand is a
real pain to keep clean without disturbing it too much. What I want to do
is somehow remove it and replace it with about 1.5 inches of pebble gravel.
In this way I will better be able to clean it without having a big
disturbance inside the aquarium. Does anyone have any ideas how I can
remove this sand without disturbing the waters too much and then replacing
it with the pebble gravel. Your advice is appreciated.

Dan

I do not understand this thing of cleaning tank bottoms. I have 5
tanks. I change 20% twice weekly with the syphon inlet hanging in the
middle of the larger tanks. All my tanks are heavily planted. The
only time I disturb the bottom is while I am pulling excess growth.

The largest tank, 75 gallons has been set up for 3 1/2 years. I know
there is stuff on the bottom as I can see it when larger fish disturb
the bottom. The stuff either settles back down or the filter picks it
up.

Considering that my filters only filter, that is, strain the tank
solids, thus not actually removing them, why all the fus?

My filters have not active chemicals. I figure any solids held back
by the media eventually return to the tank as erosion reduces their
size.

dick
Old 07-07-2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Dan wrote:
Looking for advice:

I have a heavily planted 75 gallon aquarium with about a 1.5 to 2 inch layer
of Flourite on the bottom of it. On top of the Flourite is an inch to 1.5
inches of sand. I have had it this way for about a year now. The sand is a
real pain to keep clean without disturbing it too much. What I want to do
is somehow remove it and replace it with about 1.5 inches of pebble gravel.
In this way I will better be able to clean it without having a big
disturbance inside the aquarium. Does anyone have any ideas how I can
remove this sand without disturbing the waters too much and then replacing
it with the pebble gravel. Your advice is appreciated.

Siphon it through a seive and replace the flourite that comes out.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

planted aquarium/natural aquarium red406 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 04-05-2011 06:43 PM
builders sand instead of horticultural sand jw 111 Texas 15 24-08-2005 02:46 PM
Types (or brands) of Sand in Freshwater aquarium Jimmy Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 13-01-2004 11:32 AM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Removing UGF for planted tank? Tasslehoff Freshwater Aquaria Plants 16 20-04-2003 06:14 AM