Old 19-07-2006, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Todd K.

Default Not much luck with plants in my 5 gal tank?

I have a 5 gal hex tank with one betta in it. I have one java fern
that has survived a couple of years, but can hardly be considered to
flourish. I have tried amazon swords a few times, that seem to slowly
die.

The tank flourescent light is on from around 8AM to 10 PM everyday,
which I guess is considered a lot of light. Water temp is around 78F
in winter and 84F in summer. Nitrate levels are consistently around 10
ppm. Tank has a small biowheel filter.

Any suggestions on a plant that will flourish in these conditions or
what should I be doing different?

Thanks,

Todd K.

Old 19-07-2006, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

On 19 Jul 2006 12:49:31 -0700, "Todd K." wrote:

I have a 5 gal hex tank with one betta in it. I have one java fern
that has survived a couple of years, but can hardly be considered to
flourish. I have tried amazon swords a few times, that seem to slowly
die.

The tank flourescent light is on from around 8AM to 10 PM everyday,
which I guess is considered a lot of light. Water temp is around 78F
in winter and 84F in summer. Nitrate levels are consistently around 10
ppm. Tank has a small biowheel filter.

Any suggestions on a plant that will flourish in these conditions or
what should I be doing different?

Thanks,

Todd K.

My smallest tanks are 10 gallon, so my comments may have no value to
you.

Over 3 years ago I had plant problems, mostly the plants needed more
light than my hoods provided. Not hours of light, but watts per
gallon. 1.5 watts per gallon is an approximate dividing line. Below
1.5 w/g is "low light". I lost a lot of plants until I learned this
gem.

Java Fern is low light, but I find wide variation in my tanks. I have
one 10 gallon tank that the Java mostly exists whereas in another I am
always having to remove excess, with another 10 somewhere in between.
They share Java source plants. I have no idea why the variation. Low
growth is a blessing unless you want a jungle, less weeding.

5 gallons is pretty small. I am not great on types of plants. I buy
everything over the Internet. My last purchase, over 3 years ago I
bought because it was an assortment of low light plants. Over the
years I have lost some varieties, but I have lost fish over the same
period. Life is not forever.

dick

Old 20-07-2006, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article .com,
Todd K. wrote:
The tank flourescent light is on from around 8AM to 10 PM everyday,
which I guess is considered a lot of light. Water temp is around 78F
in winter and 84F in summer. Nitrate levels are consistently around 10
ppm. Tank has a small biowheel filter.

The poor thing is straving to death. It does have the barest
amount of nitrate needed (assuming you really have 10ppm,
hobby test kits are quite worthless really) and you *might*
have enough phosphate from the fishfood, but potassium? Iron?

You need to add (at least) these. Sea Chem makes them prepared
in bottles or you can make them yourself if you have access to the
chemicals from a hydroponics shop.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 21-07-2006, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

Any suggestions on a plant that will flourish in these
conditions or what should I be doing different?

Java moss, too.. Possibly elodea or sagittaria..

How do you feed your betta tank..?

--
cu
Marco

Old 21-07-2006, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article . com,
Todd K. wrote:
Only betta flakes. Are you suggesting some plant food as well?

Oh yeah. It'll make a big difference.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 22-07-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Köi-Lö

"Todd K." wrote in message
oups.com...

Any suggestions on a plant that will flourish in these conditions or
what should I be doing different?

Few will flourish under your conditions but hornwart should do ok as well as
Java moss, anubias and some of crypts. You cab pick up aquarium plant
"food" or fertilizers at most chain pet stores such as PetsMart.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.