GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   air bubbles on leaves after water change - why? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/148242-air-bubbles-leaves-after-water-change-why.html)

jd 30-07-2006 09:36 PM

air bubbles on leaves after water change - why?

here's one I can't figure out. After I do a water change, the leaves of all
my plants are covered with little tiny air bubbles for about a day. The
water chemistry is a very close match to my tap water (well water). The
plants are in laterite inder a layer of gravel..... Does anyone have any
idea why this would be happening, and if I should be worried or not...

thanks
-JKD

Bill Stock 31-07-2006 01:36 AM

"jd" wrote in message
here's one I can't figure out. After I do a water change, the leaves of
all my plants are covered with little tiny air bubbles for about a day.
The water chemistry is a very close match to my tap water (well water).
The plants are in laterite inder a layer of gravel..... Does anyone have
any idea why this would be happening, and if I should be worried or not...

thanks
-JKD

Your plants are happy (Pearling - giving off O2). I've read a few
explanations for this, most common being that the CO2 in the water provides
a missing nutrient. Plants always give off some O2, but unless the water is
saturated you normally can't see it. So it's also possible that the tap
water is saturated with O2, allowing you to see the O2 being given off by
your plants. Third possibility is that the tap water provides some other
nutrient that your plants are missing, allowing them to produce more O2.

Either way it's a good thing, but also a sign of a possible missing
nutrient. My high light, CO2 injected tank will Pearl without doing water
changes.

Richard Sexton 01-08-2006 10:44 AM

air bubbles on leaves after water change - why?

In article ,
jd wrote:
here's one I can't figure out. After I do a water change, the leaves of all
my plants are covered with little tiny air bubbles for about a day. The
water chemistry is a very close match to my tap water (well water). The
plants are in laterite inder a layer of gravel..... Does anyone have any
idea why this would be happening, and if I should be worried or not...

Mains water is under pressure and there are more dissolved gasses in it
than can stay in it at normal pressure so they come out of solution.

It's perfectly normal.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Richard Sexton 01-08-2006 10:45 AM

In article , Bill Stock wrote:

"jd" wrote in message
here's one I can't figure out. After I do a water change, the leaves of
all my plants are covered with little tiny air bubbles for about a day.
The water chemistry is a very close match to my tap water (well water).
The plants are in laterite inder a layer of gravel..... Does anyone have
any idea why this would be happening, and if I should be worried or not...

thanks
-JKD

Your plants are happy (Pearling - giving off O2). I've read a few

No, perling referes to a constant stream of (oxygen) bubbles
eminating from a plant. An infusion of fresh tapwater can
cause this too as it contains more CO2 than aged water
does, but that's not what the original poster was talking about.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net