Old 04-08-2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Diatom filters

Is anyone out there using a Diatom (like a Vortex D-1) filter in a
planted
tank??? Is it safe to keep a filter like this in place continuously?

There's a recurring problem with "green/cloudy" water.. The UV
sterilizer isn't fixing it, and the only thing that works is a few
hours
with a rented Vortex Diatom D-1 with Super-Char...

I wouldn't mind purchasing one, but want to know what others thought
about
continual use in a planted tank..

Thanks,
Courtney

Old 04-08-2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article .com,
wrote:
Is anyone out there using a Diatom (like a Vortex D-1) filter in a
planted
tank??? Is it safe to keep a filter like this in place continuously?

There's a recurring problem with "green/cloudy" water.. The UV
sterilizer isn't fixing it, and the only thing that works is a few
hours
with a rented Vortex Diatom D-1 with Super-Char...

I wouldn't mind purchasing one, but want to know what others thought
about
continual use in a planted tank..

Yeah it works ok. I haven't done it for a real long time but
a week or two.

The problem with green water is, if you've had it for a long time
the stuff settles everywhere even under rocks. You can filter it
all out, stirr stuff up and boom the tank is green again.

But, once you get rid of all of it and I mean really get
rid of it, it's gone.

But before you do this have you tried a 3 day blackout?

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 04-08-2006, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is anyone out there using a Diatom (like a Vortex D-1) filter in a
planted
tank??? Is it safe to keep a filter like this in place continuously?

I have planted tanks and use the Vortex after every water change. They're
not meant for continuos use. Make sure you read the insert and keep it
oiled.

There's a recurring problem with "green/cloudy" water.. The UV
sterilizer isn't fixing it, and the only thing that works is a few
hours
with a rented Vortex Diatom D-1 with Super-Char...

All I use is the plain white diatom powder from Home Depot. It leaves the
water crystal clear.

I wouldn't mind purchasing one, but want to know what others thought
about
continual use in a planted tank..

Would it not be better to find the cause of the green water? Too many
nutrients perhaps?
--
KL....
Aquariums since 1952.