Old 26-08-2006, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
BK BK is offline

Default Are Native River and Pond Plants Usable?

Hi all,

I'm new here, and this is my first post.

What is the scoop on using native river and pond plants in the
community freshwater aquarium?

--BK

Old 26-08-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Provided
1. The plants will thrive in your tank's conditions (Ph, Dh, etc)
2. There's enough life in the tank.
3. You have "quarantined" the plants for a couple of days -- to lose any
nasty critters that might harm your fish,

it should be okay.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer.

ups.com...

Old 26-08-2006, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Hi..

I'm new here, and this is my first post.

Welcome..! A first step into the right direction..!

What is the scoop on using native river and pond plants in
the community freshwater aquarium?

Where are you from (location..!) - and what kind of plants
is finally meant..?
--
cu
Marco
Old 27-08-2006, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
BK BK is offline

Hi Marco,

I am in the New Haven, CT area.

I agree with the other post about quarantining them for a while.

We have a variety of plants here in the native waters. I wouldn't
expect to have a lily growing in my tank, although there are a huge
variety of grass type of plants around.

I am getting back into the hobby after about 20 years without a tank.

I can't remember if I ever tried native plants before.

--BK

Hi..

Old 28-08-2006, 08:45 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Hi..

Thanks for your reply..

We have a variety of plants here in the native waters. I
wouldn't expect to have a lily growing in my tank,
although there are a huge variety of grass type of plants
around.

CT I guess is cold water area, isn't it? Would love to read
more about your experiences keeping native water plants
indoors.

I am getting back into the hobby after about 20 years
without a tank.
I can't remember if I ever tried native plants before.

Good luck..

--
cu
Marco

Old 28-08-2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

No.

I have all sorts of stuff growing aorund he riccia, lemna tricula,
ludwigia, potamogeton - you name it.

Noting seems to survive for very long at indoor temperatures. But I'm
pretty far north. In souther climes it's possible. Anywhere inbetween
is 50/50 p worth a ahot.

Sterilize it well in alum to kill any nasties.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net