Old 03-09-2006, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Cabomba

Hi Folks:

What's the best way of trimming/propagating this plant? Cutting the
tops off and replanting? (Easiest!) Or up rooting, trimming the bottom
ends and replanting? Thanks for the help.

By the way I'm the fellow that a few months ago had a very serious
problem w/ BG Algae. I GOT RID of IT with your help. Massive water
changes: 80% 3-4 times a week and taking out all the driftwood AND plants
and scrubbing them clean. (I put in less driftwood the second time around.)
Gives more space for the fish and looks just as nice. It kept coming back
buy w/in a month I had licked it. What work it took! Thanks.

Jim

Old 03-09-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 01:09:39 GMT, "Jim Conklin"
wrote:

Hi Folks:

What's the best way of trimming/propagating this plant? Cutting the
tops off and replanting? (Easiest!) Or up rooting, trimming the bottom
ends and replanting? Thanks for the help.

By the way I'm the fellow that a few months ago had a very serious
problem w/ BG Algae. I GOT RID of IT with your help. Massive water
changes: 80% 3-4 times a week and taking out all the driftwood AND plants
and scrubbing them clean. (I put in less driftwood the second time around.)
Gives more space for the fish and looks just as nice. It kept coming back
buy w/in a month I had licked it. What work it took! Thanks.

Jim

HI Jim

I'm no expert, but I have a cabomba forest in my tank.
When its runners start popping up where I dont want them, I break the
runner, pull the plant out and chuck it in the fish pond where it
seems to grow even quicker, at least during the summer months.

If you want to just keep the plants in check, then just pich out the
top, you'll get 2 fresh sprouts appearing from the node below where
you took the top off.
If you replant the bits you pinched out, they'll soon root and regrow.

If you pull the whole plant out and seperate it into bits with roots
on, it'll also regrow, but quicker, 'coz it's already got roots.

All the best
Pete