Old 11-09-2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default T-5 vs. Standard Fluorescent... also T-6

I read the last thread concerning CF vs. fluorescent, and I did learn a
bit. I was wondering if anybody out there has any experience &
knowledge concerning T-5 units? I've seen these suckers in action and
they seem to be much brighter than standard fluorescent, with much
lower wattage and operating temperature. I was wondering what the
advantages & disadvantages are compared to standard fluorescent bulbs
(besides current cost obviously). I was also wondering if anyone has
any experience with those quantum T-6 bulbs that can operate in a
standard fluorescent fixture?

Old 11-09-2006, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article .com,
wrote:
I read the last thread concerning CF vs. fluorescent, and I did learn a
bit. I was wondering if anybody out there has any experience &
knowledge concerning T-5 units? I've seen these suckers in action and

CFL ARE T5 tubes. Just in weird shapes.

they seem to be much brighter than standard fluorescent, with much
lower wattage and operating temperature. I was wondering what the
advantages & disadvantages are compared to standard fluorescent bulbs
(besides current cost obviously). I was also wondering if anyone has
any experience with those quantum T-6 bulbs that can operate in a
standard fluorescent fixture?

Won't work. The electrical requirements are different.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 14-09-2006, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article .com,

Won't work. The electrical requirements are different.

Wanna bet??? I have a T6s in a fluorescent fixture meant for T8s and
T12s. One of the selling points of the bulbs was that the advertiser
said that they would work in a standard T8 fluorescent fixture. This
is why I purchased them... I already know that they work, I just wanted
to know if anybody knows about their average useful life, technical
specs, etc.

I specifically wanted to know the advantages of T5s over these.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 14-09-2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article .com,
wrote:
Richard Sexton wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
Won't work. The electrical requirements are different.

Wanna bet??? I have a T6s in a fluorescent fixture meant for T8s and
T12s. One of the selling points of the bulbs was that the advertiser
said that they would work in a standard T8 fluorescent fixture. This
is why I purchased them... I already know that they work, I just wanted
to know if anybody knows about their average useful life, technical
specs, etc.

You're lucky and have a clever ballast. It certainly isn't true of
all ballasts.

I specifically wanted to know the advantages of T5s over these.

The advantage of t5 over t6? Check the manufacturors specs for the
tubes but I doubt you'll find much of a difference.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net