Old 28-09-2006, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default newplants/ols plants

Hi all

I've upped my 400l tank's puny 2x36w lighting to 4x36 (with new reflectors.
Couldn't get the tarnish off the old ones, oh well !).
New plants have arrived today.

So, do I remove the old ones with "some" algae on them, or keep them and
hope with more light, "Flourish", "Excel", and the new plants, the algae on
them will improve ?

Usually I just toss them into the compost bin, but if I can revive them it
would be good.
TIA

Peter

Old 28-09-2006, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article , 2pods wrote:
Hi all

I've upped my 400l tank's puny 2x36w lighting to 4x36 (with new reflectors.
Couldn't get the tarnish off the old ones, oh well !).
New plants have arrived today.

So, do I remove the old ones with "some" algae on them, or keep them and
hope with more light, "Flourish", "Excel", and the new plants, the algae on
them will improve ?

If the only thing you're doing is adding more light you're likely to
have more algae not less.

Change water to shock the algae - it hates change.

Fertilize properly.

Use excel. While not officially an algicide it does hurt
algae very very badly usually to the point of death.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 28-09-2006, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article , 2pods wrote:
Hi all

I've upped my 400l tank's puny 2x36w lighting to 4x36 (with new
reflectors.
Couldn't get the tarnish off the old ones, oh well !).
New plants have arrived today.

So, do I remove the old ones with "some" algae on them, or keep them and
hope with more light, "Flourish", "Excel", and the new plants, the algae
on
them will improve ?

If the only thing you're doing is adding more light you're likely to
have more algae not less.

Change water to shock the algae - it hates change.

Fertilize properly.

Use excel. While not officially an algicide it does hurt
algae very very badly usually to the point of death.

But the plants Richard, Dump or not dump ?
;-)

Peter

Old 28-09-2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default newplants/old plants

If the only thing you're doing is adding more light you're likely to
have more algae not less.

Change water to shock the algae - it hates change.

Fertilize properly.

Use excel. While not officially an algicide it does hurt
algae very very badly usually to the point of death.

But the plants Richard, Dump or not dump ?
;-)

Right, I've dumped the worst of the old plants.

Currently I'm dosing using Seachem's recommended dosage
i.e. Flourish twice a week and Excel 2 capfuls (for 400l) daily.
25% water change weekly.

Is this enough to keep the algae down ?

Peter

Old 29-09-2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article , 2pods wrote:
Right, I've dumped the worst of the old plants.

You could always save tip cuttings, but whatever.

Currently I'm dosing using Seachem's recommended dosage
i.e. Flourish twice a week and Excel 2 capfuls (for 400l) daily.
25% water change weekly.

Is this enough to keep the algae down ?

Works for me.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net