Old 09-10-2006, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Aplocheilichthys normani

When you see pictures of stunning planted tanks it's not unusual to
see not that many fish and often they'll be all the same species. I
have a bunch of tanks but have two, that while neither are remotely
up to AGA showcase standards are my besy planted tanks Once is
the source of the pictures I took to make the graphic for the
header of aquaria.net and in that tank there's only one species
of fish, the one named in ths Subject: line.

I've had a dozen or so fis in that tank - and besides some snails and a few shrimp
that's all thats's in there - for about a year or so now. And the population
has doubled. Just feed them and stand back and given the size
of the tank - 40 something gallons and the amount of plants in there
they don't actually ned feeding that often. I see them all the time
eating things from the water column far too small for
me to see and in some weeks I only feed them once or twice and they
never seem to mind - babies appear all the time regardless.

To my mind although they're one of those scary killifish that poeple
think die in a year (they don't) I think they're the perfect lpanted tank
fish.

Here's a few pics:

http://rs79.vrx.net/works/photoblog/2006/oct/3/
http://rs79.vrx.net/works/photoblog/2006/oct/2/