Old 13-10-2006, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Sword is flowering again, now what?

My Sword is about to flower again, although I think it's a different plant.
Once it flowers, will I get seeds or plantlets or what? Not that I really
have room for more Swords at the moment, but it's an interesting process.

Old 13-10-2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
jd jd is offline

what do the flowers look like?

I've got some mystery swords that have a flower that is 2 stalks, both
covered with tiny white flowers. After a while, the flowers fall off,
leaving little nubs on the stalks that then grow into pods...

--JD

Old 13-10-2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"jd" wrote in message
. ..
what do the flowers look like?

I've got some mystery swords that have a flower that is 2 stalks, both
covered with tiny white flowers. After a while, the flowers fall off,
leaving little nubs on the stalks that then grow into pods...

They haven't opened yet, just the huge stalk with buds poking out of the
tank. They might be purple, but I can't really tell.

Old 14-10-2006, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Is it flowering above water? I'm not 100% sure but I'm 99% sure if you
keep the thing underwater before it opens it makes baby plants, above
water it makes flowers. Somebody who knows please correct me if I'm wrong.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 15-10-2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Richard Sexton wrote:
Is it flowering above water? I'm not 100% sure but I'm 99% sure if you
keep the thing underwater before it opens it makes baby plants, above
water it makes flowers. Somebody who knows please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've had E. uruguayensis, E. cordifolius, and a generic "amazon sword"
flower above water in my tanks. I've never kept a flowering spike
underwater because I like to see the blooms. First the plants flower
for weeks, with a few flowers opening at a time. Once the flowers are
gone, baby plants grow in clusters at the base of the flower pedicels.
I've never gotten fruits or seeds.

Once the baby plants have a few leaves, I cut off the inflorescence and
put it underwater. The baby plants continue to grow and develop roots.

--
Did you read the FAQ?
http://faq.thekrib.com

Old 16-10-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Altum" wrote in message
. net...
Richard Sexton wrote:
[...]

thanks, I think these are E. Osiris.

Old 16-10-2006, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article ,
Altum wrote:
Richard Sexton wrote:
Is it flowering above water? I'm not 100% sure but I'm 99% sure if you
keep the thing underwater before it opens it makes baby plants, above
water it makes flowers. Somebody who knows please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've had E. uruguayensis, E. cordifolius, and a generic "amazon sword"
flower above water in my tanks. I've never kept a flowering spike
underwater because I like to see the blooms. First the plants flower
for weeks, with a few flowers opening at a time. Once the flowers are
gone, baby plants grow in clusters at the base of the flower pedicels.
I've never gotten fruits or seeds.

Once the baby plants have a few leaves, I cut off the inflorescence and
put it underwater. The baby plants continue to grow and develop roots.

Thanks Altum. You send me pictures next time, jah?

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 16-10-2006, 09:03 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Richard Sexton wrote:

Thanks Altum. You send me pictures next time, jah?

Sure. I'll take some of the E. cordifolius spikes tomorrow. They're
just starting to switch from flowers to baby swords. The E.
uruguayensis blooms in the spring. Pity there's no way to capture the
fragrance. The uruguayensis blossoms are surprisingly fragrant.

--
Did you read the FAQ?
http://faq.thekrib.com
Old 16-10-2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
jd jd is offline

Default UPDATE - Sword is flowering again, now what?

Well, the "pods" have dropped off the flower stalks, and have turned into
little two-leaf "seedlings". they've drifted about and settled into the
gravel, but every night the cory cats seem to push them about to a new
place. They're nice and green, most fo them have sprouted a third leaf
(about 2 days from settling), and seem to be doing well. Biggest drag is
that thtey're too small to actually put where I want them - no roots to
speak of, and like I said, the corys are moving them anyway. Once they're
bigger, I'll move them.....

the original flower stalks are still there. they're fairly long now (about 2
inches from split to tip), and are just sort of floating there. The plants
now have 4 flower stalks each, all of which go tothe surface of the watter
with the flower bits sticking out of the water....

-_JD

. ..

Old 16-10-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

jd wrote:
Well, the "pods" have dropped off the flower stalks, and have turned into
little two-leaf "seedlings". they've drifted about and settled into the
gravel, but every night the cory cats seem to push them about to a new
place. They're nice and green, most fo them have sprouted a third leaf
(about 2 days from settling), and seem to be doing well. Biggest drag is
that thtey're too small to actually put where I want them - no roots to
speak of, and like I said, the corys are moving them anyway. Once they're
bigger, I'll move them.....

the original flower stalks are still there. they're fairly long now (about 2
inches from split to tip), and are just sort of floating there. The plants
now have 4 flower stalks each, all of which go tothe surface of the watter
with the flower bits sticking out of the water....

-_JD

. ..

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
My Sword is about to flower again, although I think it's a different
plant. Once it flowers, will I get seeds or plantlets or what? Not that I
really have room for more Swords at the moment, but it's an interesting
process.

Are you sure those are swords and not aponogetons (sp?)? What you're
describing is exactly what the cheap hybrid Apon "wonder bulbs" that I
bought at Walmart did when they got big. Their flower stalks came out
of the water, bloomed, and dropped rather large green seeds that
sprouted right away. The sword plant stalks stayed submerged and grew
little plantlets on the stalk where the flowers were.

Bob

Old 17-10-2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article ,
Altum wrote:
Richard Sexton wrote:

Thanks Altum. You send me pictures next time, jah?

Sure. I'll take some of the E. cordifolius spikes tomorrow. They're
just starting to switch from flowers to baby swords. The E.
uruguayensis blooms in the spring. Pity there's no way to capture the
fragrance. The uruguayensis blossoms are surprisingly fragrant.

'Tis the season. The short (and getting shorter) days seem to make all
tropical plants go flower crazy.

Danke.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 17-10-2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
jd jd is offline

could be. Your description is a good match, and these plants were free
donations, so I have no idea what they are. The LFS gave them to me when I
bought a bunch of other stuff)...

in any case, they're good low/med height filler plants, and if they seed
frequently, I won't complain...

-_JD

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
jd wrote:
Well, the "pods" have dropped off the flower stalks, and have turned into
little two-leaf "seedlings". they've drifted about and settled into the
gravel, but every night the cory cats seem to push them about to a new
place. They're nice and green, most fo them have sprouted a third leaf
(about 2 days from settling), and seem to be doing well. Biggest drag is
that thtey're too small to actually put where I want them - no roots to
speak of, and like I said, the corys are moving them anyway. Once they're
bigger, I'll move them.....

the original flower stalks are still there. they're fairly long now
(about 2 inches from split to tip), and are just sort of floating there.
The plants now have 4 flower stalks each, all of which go tothe surface
of the watter with the flower bits sticking out of the water....

-_JD

. ..