Old 02-11-2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Electronic Ballast with no bulbs

I've got a shiny new fluorescent light fixture with 4 ballasts and three
switches. So two ballasts are on one switch and the other switches each
control one ballast. It's possible that this may be TOO much light for the
new tank. It really doesn't look that bright in the room though, which is
somewhat surprising. Although I haven't removed the reflector coatings yet.

So I'm wondering if it's OK to run the one electronic ballast without bulbs?
I assume I'll waste some power, but will it harm the ballast? Is it a case
of YMMV?