GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Algae (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/151049-algae.html)

David Hopper 18-11-2006 09:45 PM

Algae

Need help/advice/suggestions

I have a 20 gal hex tank, 9 fish, very healthy and very healthy live
plants. I also have algae. Is there anything that can be put in the
water that will kill the algae without killing the plants and fish?

I have algae eaters but they can only do so much.

Thanks

David Hopper

Dick 20-11-2006 02:04 PM

Algae

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:45:39 -0700, David Hopper
wrote:

Need help/advice/suggestions

I have a 20 gal hex tank, 9 fish, very healthy and very healthy live
plants. I also have algae. Is there anything that can be put in the
water that will kill the algae without killing the plants and fish?

I have algae eaters but they can only do so much.

Thanks

David Hopper

Frustrating stuff isn't it?

I too have algae eaters, lots of them. They prefer the flake food. I
have one Pleco that has learned to feed off the top forcing other fish
to wait for the flakes to disperse.

I now tolerate the algae, up to a point, then scrub the glass with a
pad of filter material. (my tanks are glass).

My worst tank gets indirect sunlight. I close the sliding door drapes
during the worst of the day. I don't like doing so as I like looking
outside. Not even sure I am doing any good. A 29 gallon, deep inside
the house, gets a lot of algae on the glass.

I have one 10 gallon tank that no longer has algae. I have no idea
what is different.

I will read, with great interest answers you get.

dick

Richard Sexton 22-11-2006 08:04 PM

Algae

Fertilize normally and properly, Use flourush excel (and or co2)
to make the plants eas up all the food before the alage gets it.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net