Old 25-11-2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Cracked Bubble Counter

I refilled my CO2 bottle today, as it was just about empty. I went to
replace the tank and I noticed that the plastic bubble counter is cracked
all along the bottom where it screws into the pressure regulator. This was
likely caused by exposure to the CO2. I guess I'll replace it in the short
term, but I'm sure it will just happen again. It's impossible to keep the BC
full of water, as the PowerHead sucks all the water out in no time. If I
can find the right adapter, I should probably just eliminate the BC all
together.

Has anyone else experienced this cracking? What did you finally do?

Old 27-11-2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

I haven't experienced that and haven't heard of it. Is it possible the
connection was overtightened? Also, have you tried keeping the bubble
counter less full of water to keep the water from being sucked out?
From what I understand, you only need enough water to actually count

bubbles (in which case, once you have your desired flow, would any
water be needed at all?)

Old 28-11-2006, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

wrote in message
ps.com...
I haven't experienced that and haven't heard of it. Is it possible the
connection was overtightened? Also, have you tried keeping the bubble
counter less full of water to keep the water from being sucked out?
From what I understand, you only need enough water to actually count

bubbles (in which case, once you have your desired flow, would any
water be needed at all?)

The amount of water doesn't matter, the PowerHead (RUGF) will suck the
bubble counter dry in no time. The direct exposure to the CO2 seems to cause
the plastic to crack. It's also done a number on the rubber seals. I taped
the cracks on the Bubble Counter as a temporary measure and a few hours
later the cracks were double their original size.

Since I have a PH meter, I've just plugged the tubing directly to the check
valve coming off the regulator.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
I haven't experienced that and haven't heard of it. Is it possible the
connection was overtightened? Also, have you tried keeping the bubble
counter less full of water to keep the water from being sucked out?
From what I understand, you only need enough water to actually count

bubbles (in which case, once you have your desired flow, would any
water be needed at all?)

The amount of water doesn't matter, the PowerHead (RUGF) will suck the
bubble counter dry in no time. The direct exposure to the CO2 seems to

cause
the plastic to crack. It's also done a number on the rubber seals. I taped
the cracks on the Bubble Counter as a temporary measure and a few hours
later the cracks were double their original size.

Since I have a PH meter, I've just plugged the tubing directly to the

check
valve coming off the regulator.

Although mine has not yet cracked, I have the same problem with the water
loss. Once a month I have to refill the conter. I would REALLY hate to run
my setup without one (have the pH meter too) because it is a good visual on
the flow from the tank during use. Probably like you, I can get a good feel
if something is wrong by looking at the bubbles in the reactor - I bet the
supply house where you got your C02 might have a replacement, and if not
then the place you got the regulator?

Old 03-02-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Sysiphus" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

Although mine has not yet cracked, I have the same problem with the water
loss. Once a month I have to refill the conter. I would REALLY hate to
run
my setup without one (have the pH meter too) because it is a good visual
on
the flow from the tank during use. Probably like you, I can get a good
feel
if something is wrong by looking at the bubbles in the reactor - I bet the
supply house where you got your C02 might have a replacement, and if not
then the place you got the regulator?

Yes, they're about $15 Cdn, so I didn't bother. But I agree the visual check
can be reassuring.