GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New member--intro (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15125-new-member-intro.html)

Kelly Upton 16-04-2003 03:20 AM

New member--intro

Hi plant lovers,
I am Kelly and I live in South Georgia, USA I have a 10 gal. tank that
I am going to be adding more plants to and thought it might be best to find
out how to do it.
At the moment I have one male Betta, Clyde, and one lonely Banana plant,
Magilla, in my tank. Unless you count the green algae growing all over
everything!! So far, I don't have filters or anything yet--just a tank of
water and a plant light.
I look forward to seeing what you all have to say and learning about
plants that don't live in pots!!

Nice to meet you all, Kelly

WD 16-04-2003 03:44 AM

New member--intro

"Kelly Upton" wrote in message
. net...
Hi plant lovers,
I am Kelly and I live in South Georgia, USA I have a 10 gal. tank

that
I am going to be adding more plants to and thought it might be best to

find
out how to do it.
At the moment I have one male Betta, Clyde, and one lonely Banana

plant,
Magilla, in my tank. Unless you count the green algae growing all over
everything!! So far, I don't have filters or anything yet--just a tank of
water and a plant light.
I look forward to seeing what you all have to say and learning about
plants that don't live in pots!!

Nice to meet you all, Kelly

Welcome!

First may I ask, Why no filter? Some kind of filtration is needed in almost
all tanks, if only to create a bilological filter bed to convert the ammonia
to nitrogen.
Since you're just getting into this, may I introduce to you one of the best
sources for aquaria info I've ever seen. The Aquaria FAQ.
http://faq.thekrib.com/

Great stuff. Good luck!

billy

Rich Conley 16-04-2003 06:32 PM

New member--intro

I agree that she should get a filter...but just to be difficult...if theres one
place you can get away without one..its a planted tank. :P

Robert Flory 16-04-2003 07:44 PM

New member--intro

WD wrote:

"Kelly Upton" wrote in message
. net...
Hi plant lovers,
I am Kelly and I live in South Georgia, USA I have a 10 gal. tank

that

SNIP

Welcome!

First may I ask, Why no filter? Some kind of filtration is needed in

almost
all tanks, if only to create a bilological filter bed to convert the

ammonia
to nitrogen.
Since you're just getting into this, may I introduce to you one of the

best
sources for aquaria info I've ever seen. The Aquaria FAQ.
http://faq.thekrib.com/

Great stuff. Good luck!

billy

One fish in a ten gallon tank....you probably don't need a filter, unless
you add more fish.

Bob

Dave Millman 16-04-2003 11:56 PM

New member--intro

WD wrote:

First may I ask, Why no filter? Some kind of filtration is needed in almost
all tanks, if only to create a bilological filter bed to convert the ammonia
to nitrogen.

My daughter's small betta tank has no filter. 50% water change weekly, and the
java moss eats lots of nitrate and grows fast.

My 72 gallon show tank has a high fish load and no external biofilter. The
cannister mechanical filter is cleaned too frequently to allow a biofiltration
colony to get established. The tank is very heavily planted, so the plants eat
most ammonia. What ammonia they miss the bacteria in the gravel get-it hasn't
been vacuumed in 14 months.

However, my quarrantine/breeding tank has a sponge filter with a
long-established biofiltration colony. It gets squeezed in waste tank water just
once every few months. Not enough plants or gravel to make a difference in this
tank, so a carefully established biofilter is necessary. Just a sponge
though-fry can't handle power filters.

As has been said often on this list, plants make the best biofilters.

WD 17-04-2003 12:32 AM

New member--intro

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
WD wrote:

First may I ask, Why no filter? Some kind of filtration is needed in

almost
all tanks, if only to create a bilological filter bed to convert the

ammonia
to nitrogen.

My daughter's small betta tank has no filter. 50% water change weekly, and

the
java moss eats lots of nitrate and grows fast.

These last few posts are why I said "..is needed in almost
all tanks..."....
I know there are exceptions, but since the poster seemed to be somewhat
new to the hobby, I elected not to get complicated. But, you were all
absolutely correct.

billy

Kelly Upton 17-04-2003 04:08 AM

New member--intro

I am Very new to the planted tank thing!!! Have only had the plant for
about a week. But, hey, it has put ut a new leaf already!! :-) As far as
aquariums in general, I have helped my hubby run a 90 gal reef for a few
years now. I just wanted to spice up my betta's life with a plant and more
room to swim. One thing is leading to another........I want more plants
now.

.net...

linda mar 17-04-2003 10:56 PM

New member--intro

"Robert Flory" wrote in message
gy.com...

I agree that she should get a filter...but just to be difficult...if

theres one
place you can get away without one..its a planted tank. :P

One fish in a ten gallon tank....you probably don't need a filter, unless
you add more fish.

Bob

especially when that one fish is a betta (lone labyrinth fish in a 10G...
what happy and fortunate fish!)...

linda

linda mar 17-04-2003 11:20 PM

New member--intro

"Kelly Upton" wrote in message
.net...
I am Very new to the planted tank thing!!! Have only had the plant for
about a week. But, hey, it has put ut a new leaf already!! :-) As far as
aquariums in general, I have helped my hubby run a 90 gal reef for a few
years now. I just wanted to spice up my betta's life with a plant and

more
room to swim. One thing is leading to another........I want more plants
now.

I recommend java fern. they're easy to keep (low light requirement), and
slow growing enough that you don't have to trim all the time.. also there's
the added benefit that you tie them to rocks and wood, so you can make a
in-water-java garden terraces :-)

my betta loves to lean/sit on java fern blades...

linda