GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Carbon filter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/152062-carbon-filter.html)

Michael[_4_] 05-01-2007 12:35 AM

Carbon filter

Will carbon filtration used to remove medication also remove useful
nutrients for plants? (like iron, etc.)

Richard Sexton 05-01-2007 03:48 AM

Carbon filter

In article ,
Michael wrote:

Will carbon filtration used to remove medication also remove useful
nutrients for plants? (like iron, etc.)

Everyone says so but in theory it shouldn't and to be honest
I've never noticed that it does.

You can get an iron test kit and see for yourself.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

[email protected] 16-02-2007 01:07 AM

Carbon filter

On Jan 4, 6:35 pm, Michael wrote:
Will carbon filtration used to remove medication also remove useful
nutrients for plants? (like iron, etc.)

In a recent issue of TFH Magazine, the great (?) Mr Amano confessed
that he uses carbon in his filters. Believing them to have no ill
effects on his precision fertilization, they quickly lose their
"carbon" qualities and become great additional landscape for bacteria
to thrive. I only use it when I have a specific purpose like clearing
the water - I see no difference in my plants either way.

MG

Richard Sexton 16-02-2007 09:39 AM

Carbon filter

In article .com,
wrote:
On Jan 4, 6:35 pm, Michael wrote:
Will carbon filtration used to remove medication also remove useful
nutrients for plants? (like iron, etc.)

In a recent issue of TFH Magazine, the great (?) Mr Amano confessed
that he uses carbon in his filters. Believing them to have no ill
effects on his precision fertilization, they quickly lose their
"carbon" qualities and become great additional landscape for bacteria
to thrive. I only use it when I have a specific purpose like clearing
the water - I see no difference in my plants either way.

I've never noticed any impact on plants from using carbon. And the
chemistry of adsorbtion doesn't back up the claim that carbon can
remove anything remotely useful to a plant.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net