GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stupid beginner problems (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/152073-stupid-beginner-problems.html)

JoeBartoszek 05-01-2007 09:43 AM

Stupid beginner problems

First off i have to say that i am living in taiwan and as far as asking
any store workers questions is out. As well, any products i purchase
are also completely in chinese so all i have to go by are names like
'plant growth', with no idea what is in them, with the exception of
'FE' which didnt help.

Anyways, I have a 25 gallon tank, brand new soil, six plants, 1 brand
new light(38Watt, 7200k), and about 19 inch. of fish ranging from,
pleekos, angels, cichlids, and one fighting fish. (you would think
they would kill each other but there good)

My problem is that My plants are not growing. Thats not entirely true.
My plants are growing but they are dying off faster than they are
growing. dying from the outside of the leaves inward. I do have a
homemade Co2 set up going which i though twould help but now i am not
sure......
Do i have enough light in my tank? i have read on some websites that i
need roughly 75 w. for a tank that size. I have looked in some
aquarium stores here and all i am finding are bulbs ranging from 18
-25 watt, I cant even find a bulb as strong as the one i have. Do i
need to find a stronger bulb, or buy another light?
Other readings have had me asking the questions, "Do I have a sulfur
deficiency problem, or perhaps a nitrogen problem?

SO, any advice you have, send it my way. I am in dire need of some help

Joe

[email protected] 05-01-2007 04:20 PM

Stupid beginner problems

What an adventure you have set yourself upon!

I guess I would ask a couple of questions, do you know what kind of
plants you have? It may not be the best measure, but I find myself
thinking of light in watts per gallon. You have 1.52, which many would
consider sufficient for many varieties of plants found here in the US.
Having 75w on a 25g tank would allow you to grow just about anything.
You mentioned that your leaves are dying from the outside in, are they
yellowing? Is it happening more on old growth or new growth? It could
be a nutrient deficiency. Are the plants completely dying? Sometimes
plants are cultured above the water line to speed growth. When they are
submereged often times the leaves will die back and new 'aqautic'
leaves will grow (this was the case for an amazon sword plant that I
purchased). If you could offer more information on yoru plants and
symptoms, hopefully some help can be offered!

JoeBartoszek 06-01-2007 07:02 AM

Stupid beginner problems

Yes my plants are growing outside in. The plants are not completely
dying but the old leaves are dying off much fast than the new ones are
growing. I am satisfied with the speed of how they are growing but
with the old ones dying so quickly there is no room for growth! It
very difficult to give you names of the plants since i just looked at
them in the store and thought they would look cool. and dont forget I
couldnt ask any questions which i would have done. How would i get 76
w in my tank though, would i have to buy a second light set up or tryt
to find a higher wattage bulb?
thanks for your help

JoeBartoszek 06-01-2007 02:10 PM

Stupid beginner problems

Sorry, i ment my plants are dying outside, in. Also, there are small
holes throughout the dying leaves. Man, the more i type, the more
questions i can think of........
Not enough light?
Is there too much CO2 in the tank since i am using a home made co2
setup? are the simptoms i mentioned due to that?
How can i not have enough nurtreints in my tank if my dirt is brand
new?

[email protected] 08-01-2007 03:36 PM

Stupid beginner problems

WIth the holes in the plants and leaves outside in it sounds like the
water is nutrient deficient. Holes in leaves can be a sign that there
is a shortage of soluable potash. Yellowing can be a sign of a lack of
iron (chlorosis). As far as too much CO2 in the water... I doubt that
would be a big problem. If there is too much, it will lower the pH
beyond desirable levels and perhaps make resipration for the fish
difficult. If the plants aren't using it (or unable to due to lack of
other nutrients or lighting) then it would be simply wasted.

Who Cares? 11-02-2007 05:11 AM

Stupid beginner problems

On 5 Jan 2007 00:43:15 -0800, "JoeBartoszek"
wrote:

First off i have to say that i am living in taiwan and as far as asking
any store workers questions is out. As well, any products i purchase
are also completely in chinese so all i have to go by are names like
'plant growth', with no idea what is in them, with the exception of
'FE' which didnt help.

Anyways, I have a 25 gallon tank, brand new soil, six plants, 1 brand
new light(38Watt, 7200k), and about 19 inch. of fish ranging from,
pleekos, angels, cichlids, and one fighting fish. (you would think
they would kill each other but there good)

pleekos like plants, I feed mine cucumbers.

I've got two in a 40gal, they're both the size of a jokeswagon.
They're over 10 years old.

Don't know if this will help you.

me

Who Cares? 11-02-2007 05:18 AM

Stupid beginner problems

wrote:

First off i have to say that i am living in taiwan and as far as asking
any store workers questions is out. As well, any products i purchase
are also completely in chinese so all i have to go by are names like
'plant growth', with no idea what is in them, with the exception of
'FE' which didnt help.

Anyways, I have a 25 gallon tank, brand new soil, six plants, 1 brand
new light(38Watt, 7200k), and about 19 inch. of fish ranging from,
pleekos, angels, cichlids, and one fighting fish. (you would think
they would kill each other but there good)

pleekos like plants, I feed mine cucumbers.

I've got two in a 40gal, they're both the size of a jokeswagon.
They're over 10 years old.

Don't know if this will help you.

me

Sorry, when you said pleekos, you did mean Pacostamus, right?

Algae eaters?

If so, they like plants and will eat them.

Perhaps that's why you have holes in the leaves of the plants, the
fish are eating the plants.

me again.

mor 07-12-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who Cares? (Post 690444)

wrote:

[...]

would you take picture of this plants your are growing. its will be easy to answers your question.

3388 20-03-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mor (Post 763964)
would you take picture of this plants your are growing. its will be easy to answers your question.

yes,you can post the pics of the plant you are growing