GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Weight of hood (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15348-weight-hood.html)

Harry Muscle 17-04-2003 07:32 PM

Weight of hood

Has anybody ever raised concern about having a heavy hood resting on a tank?
I'm still in the process of developing blue prints for my upcoming fish tank
stand and hood, and I've been racking my brain out trying to figure out a
way for the hood not to rest on the tank frame so as to not put any extra
pressure on the tank itself. Should I really bother worring about this at
all? It's gonna be a custom hood made out of wood and glass, so it'll weigh
more than those thin plastic types that are usually sold with most tanks.

If there's no short term problem with resting heavy hoods on tanks, what
about long term. For those technically inclinded, would the extra force
that is created by the hood contribute in any possible way to a tank
possibly leaking (or are leaks virtually always caused by forces acting on
angles other than from straight above?).

Btw, the tank I'm talking about is an All-Glass or Oceanic 50G (36" * 18" *
19" high).

Thanks,
Harry

Charlie Spitzer 17-04-2003 07:56 PM

Weight of hood

not significant, unless you're making a few hundred pound hood.

the weight is directed downwards. the edges of the tank work well in
compression.

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
[...]

*
19" high).

Thanks,
Harry

Richard Reynolds 17-04-2003 08:56 PM

Weight of hood

heavier hoods are used quite often those plastic thingies get replaced by hoods weighing
quite a bit. my 125 has a new hood made by me on it, it weighs quite a bit it takes 2
people to carry though it can be lifted by 1 person. for examples check into some of the
reef sites, reef tanks require much brighter lighting than the plastic hoods can handle
and many people diy there own hoods to hold mh and vho/pc lights

--
Richard Reynolds

LeighMo 17-04-2003 11:44 PM

Weight of hood

Don't worry about it. The stress the weight of the hood puts on the tank is
negligible compared to the stress of holding the water.

Leigh

CapFusion 18-04-2003 01:56 AM

Weight of hood

If you worry about those weight you can do another DIY a stand or a pole to
let the light hood hand-on or lay on top of the pole. Something similar like
a pool hall where the light fixture over the pool table.

Jason 19-04-2003 07:32 PM

Weight of hood

If you want the hood off of the tank use four pieces that run up from the
corners of your stand. Incorporate into the stand so to speak. If you want
access to the tank from the front put a hinged door across the front.

Jason