Old 15-02-2007, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Sea Shells in a freshwater tank

The kids and I picked up some great ocean shells from the beach, and I
was wondering if I could somehow make them safe for introduction for my
freshwater tank. They would be a great hidey hole for the amano and
blueberry shrimp during their molts.

Any ideas?
Old 15-02-2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article ,
Skip Hollowell wrote:
The kids and I picked up some great ocean shells from the beach, and I
was wondering if I could somehow make them safe for introduction for my
freshwater tank. They would be a great hidey hole for the amano and
blueberry shrimp during their molts.

Traditionally you'll be told NO! They contribute to carbonate buildup
as they (ever so slowly) dissolve.

But that's, for lack of a better term, old skool thinking.

If you change water a lot you'll remove any carbonates as they
build up.

If you don't change water a lot your tank will go acid and the
shells will mitigate what gets referred to as "old tank syndrome".

Go for it.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 15-02-2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article ,
Skip Hollowell wrote:
The kids and I picked up some great ocean shells from the beach, and I
was wondering if I could somehow make them safe for introduction for my
freshwater tank. They would be a great hidey hole for the amano and
blueberry shrimp during their molts.

Traditionally you'll be told NO! They contribute to carbonate buildup
as they (ever so slowly) dissolve.

But that's, for lack of a better term, old skool thinking.

If you change water a lot you'll remove any carbonates as they
build up.

If you don't change water a lot your tank will go acid and the
shells will mitigate what gets referred to as "old tank syndrome".

Go for it.

Thanks as always for your much respected opinion.
Old 18-02-2007, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Skip Hollowell" wrote in message
news:PJWdnUfdXvEw40nYnZ2dnUVZ_s2vnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
The kids and I picked up some great ocean shells from the beach, and I was
wondering if I could somehow make them safe for introduction for my
freshwater tank. They would be a great hidey hole for the amano and
blueberry shrimp during their molts.

Any ideas?

I lived on Long Island for years and picked up shells constantly. I washed
them off and used them in fishtanks all the time. Just watch out for the
conch shells as I had a fish wedge itself in one and die. I switched to
clam, oyster and barnacle shells after that. But getting trapped can happen
even with store bought shells.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.