Old 18-04-2003, 10:20 PM
WD

Default low light suggestions

I'm setting up a 20g tank, but for the time being this will be a low-light
tank, right around 1 wpg so I'm making plans for java fern and anubius. Any
suggestions on what background plants I could try? The cryptocoryne family,
at least in the FAQ, claims to be a poor beginner plant, and though I now
have 3 planted tanks, feel that I am far from experienced, plus I'd like to
stay away from the iron supplement needs.

--
----
Billy

"When the day comes that anyone can bend
our country's laws and lawmakers to serve
selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic
government dies" -- Preston Tucker, 1948

Old 19-04-2003, 02:56 AM
linda mar

Hi,

I'm a newbie, so.. FWIW...

I think crypts are considered foreground plants.. they don't get all that
tall..

you can try getting a tall ornament for the back and plant your java fern
and/or anubias on it so it gives you the illusion of a tall plant...

'enuf said.. I'm sure other knowledgeable people have better suggestions
:-)

linda

Old 19-04-2003, 04:44 AM
WD

"linda mar" wrote in message
Hi,

you can try getting a tall ornament for the back and plant your java fern
and/or anubias on it so it gives you the illusion of a tall plant...

Very good idea.....I'm gonna do just that!!!!

billy

Old 19-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Sandy

"linda mar" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm a newbie, so.. FWIW...

I think crypts are considered foreground plants.. they don't get all that
tall..

I have a 48x15x18(deep) tank with a 30 watt white fluorescent tube on 10
hours per day. The tank is planted with various Crypts. most of which grow
to the surface and above it. The plants are in a substrate consisting of a
small layer of potting compost ( the type used for plant pots) and a 4 inch
layer of gravel over it.
I don't think I have ever had a plant that grows the same in different
tanks, they can be big in one and small in another.
Buy some plants and see which ones grow best for you and take a note of the
names, just like in gardening get to know what grows best for you under your
conditions and stick to them.

HTH.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy