GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Amazon Sward Plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/155151-amazon-sward-plant.html)

David Kershaw 12-03-2007 07:56 PM

Amazon Sward Plant

Can anyone tell me the best substrate, the depth of substrate and the water
conditions required for an Amazon Sward Plant?
Regards David

~Windsong~ 12-03-2007 08:12 PM

Amazon Sward Plant

Duuno other than I keep mine in a mix of coarse sand and fine sands,
in a 60 gal tank . The substrate is 2-3 inches deep, 96 watts PC
lights and as far as PH I could not tell you...... I do run some
pieces of drift wood and also peat in the filter to get the water like
it would be in the amazon basin reigon.....Its huge, and its been
doing fine for a number of years now.....I am not much into test8iubg
waters all the time as if I do not make changes and its all fine for
moneths and years on end, then odds are it must be right....so why
take and waste time testing. Thats my view on water testsing anyhow.

I also have a madagascar dwarf lilly actually a very common miniature
water lilly that grows super in it as well. Previously I had 55 watts
of light over the tank when it only had the amazon sword, but the lily
did not do that good, so I increased wattage to 96 and now all are
happy campers. I think the sword also benefited form the increase in
wattage as well.

-------

Reel McKoi 13-03-2007 12:30 AM

Amazon Sward Plant

"David Kershaw" wrote in message
.uk...
Can anyone tell me the best substrate, the depth of substrate and the
water conditions required for an Amazon Sward Plant?
Regards David

===============================
Mine don't do too well here where the water is hard and alkaline. In NYC
they did much better in a fine gravel 1 1/2" deep in a softer more acid
water. I think the main problem with them is in nature they're only
underwater for a period of time. In our tanks they don't get that above
water time they've adapted to over the ages. We keep them constantly
submerged. Also, they do better with aquarium plant fertilizer tabs pressed
into the bottom around their roots. Mine get 160 w fluorescent light for 12
hours a day over 55g tanks.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

[email protected] 15-03-2007 01:21 AM

Amazon Sward Plant

On Mar 12, 11:56 am, "David Kershaw"
wrote:
Can anyone tell me the best substrate, the depth of substrate and the water
conditions required for an Amazon Sward Plant?
Regards David

Depends on other factors besides just the substrate.
But that said, providing ADA aqua soil will help.
Generally about 4-6" is nice, these weeds get very large, 3ft etc in
6-12 months.

Good CO2, good nutrients, good light, that's what makes a plant grow
well.
Mess with one of those, then you will not do as well.

I've not found anything that suggest they do better/worse in hard or
soft water.
I wrote an article on extending the known the range of E. berteroi in
the Santa Ynez river and the hardness was well over for gH, 600ppm the
KH was about 440ppm.

Extremely hard, beyond African rift lakes. Plants where all over.
CO2 will make them grow much faster, about 10X faster.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Richard Sexton 16-03-2007 06:16 PM

Amazon Sward Plant

In article .com,
wrote:
On Mar 12, 11:56 am, "David Kershaw"

I've not found anything that suggest they do better/worse in hard or
soft water.

My water is extremely hard - 1000ppm or so. Swords do fine and suck the
hardness right out of the water. I keep bits of coral in the tank so it
doesn't get too soft.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

~Roy~ 16-03-2007 11:12 PM

Amazon Sward Plant

There goes CArol Gulleys so called theory why her swords suck just
like she does.....

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:16:49 +0000 (UTC),