Old 04-04-2007, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Why algae attaches to plants

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...6.1991.00196.x

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 04-04-2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Hi Tom,
If I read that correctly, I can expect more algal growth on the
glass and substrate than on the plants?
Regards David
oups.com...

Old 04-04-2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

On Apr 4, 9:27 am, "David Kershaw" wrote:
Hi Tom,
If I read that correctly, I can expect more algal growth on the
glass and substrate than on the plants?
Regards wrote in message

oups.com...

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...-3646.1991.001...

Regards,
Tom Barr

Perhaps.
But you can expect more on dead or poor health plants. That much seems
to be supported.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 05-04-2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article .com,
wrote:
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...6.1991.00196.x

"An online subscription or single article purchase is required to access this article:

Tease.

From the abstract:

"We hypothesize that the hydrophobic cuticle on actively growing Scirpus culms retards the development of precursors for attachment by periphytic algae. Upon senescence of the culm and loss of epidermal integrity, colonization of culm surfaces by periphytic algae may occur in a manner similar to that on artificial substrata."

I get the impression that algae grew bettter on the non-plant media than on plants
unti the leaves got old but that the difference between old and new leaf algae growth
was not well understood - just a hypothesis at this juncture.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 05-04-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

On Apr 5, 1:44 pm, (Richard Sexton) wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...-3646.1991.001...

"An online subscription or single article purchase is required to access this article:

Tease.

From the abstract:

"We hypothesize that the hydrophobic cuticle on actively growing Scirpus culms retards the development of precursors for attachment by periphytic algae. Upon senescence of the culm and loss of epidermal integrity, colonization of culm surfaces by periphytic algae may occur in a manner similar to that on artificial substrata."

I get the impression that algae grew bettter on the non-plant media than on plants
unti the leaves got old but that the difference between old and new leaf algae growth
was not well understood - just a hypothesis at this juncture.

Richard Sexton | Mercedes stuff:http://mbz.org
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages:http://rs79.vrx.net
633CSi 250SE/C 300SD |http://aquaria.nethttp://killi.net

I think given our observations in planted tanks and with specific
references to poor plant health/growth, that a healthy cuticle is a
good cuticle.

While a hypothesis, it's still a good one that matches well and there
is correlation to support it, but more test are required.

If you could do something to disrupt the target for the alga's
attachment sensory to cuticles, then no algae would attach to plants.
Using a molecular mutant approach, this would/could confirm it.

Regards,
Tom Barr