GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Awesome Aquarium Light (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15661-awesome-aquarium-light.html)

bingo 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Awesome Aquarium Light

http://home.attbi.com/~gem_sales/products/light.html

This light is amazing for those trying to grow plants in your aquarium. The
light is small and does not give off heat. It is the best light that mimics
true sunlight.

Cannibul 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Awesome Aquarium Light

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 01:44:54 GMT, "bingo" wrote:

http://home.attbi.com/~gem_sales/products/light.html

This light is amazing for those trying to grow plants in your aquarium. The
light is small and does not give off heat. It is the best light that mimics
true sunlight.

Tell ya what shit for brains. If someone wants one of these lights
Wal-Mart and Home Depot carry them and they only charge $30 for them.
And they are not that good of a light. And they do give off a lot of
heat. And they are not that small either.

[email protected] 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Awesome Aquarium Light

not to mention that any run of the mill fluorescent light has the same spectrum as
the sun.... just not as intense. Ingrid

Cannibul wrote:

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 01:44:54 GMT, "bingo" wrote:

http://home.attbi.com/~gem_sales/products/light.html

This light is amazing for those trying to grow plants in your aquarium. The
light is small and does not give off heat. It is the best light that mimics
true sunlight.

Tell ya what shit for brains. If someone wants one of these lights
Wal-Mart and Home Depot carry them and they only charge $30 for them.
And they are not that good of a light. And they do give off a lot of
heat. And they are not that small either.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.net
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Agitator_ 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Awesome Aquarium Light

I beg your pardon???

I will will have to strongly disagree with your statement.
Your run of the mill florescent light will not even come close to
re-creating the spectrum of the sun.
They may be able to re-create the proper lighting effect, but not the
spectrum.

Take a look at the lights required for reptiles and lizards, and the special
"Grow" lights for planted aquaria.

What a blatent statement of ignorance!

[email protected] 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Awesome Aquarium Light

amplitude has a quite specific meaning it is the height of the crest or depth of the
trough of a particular wavelength. but yes, the intensity of different wavelenghts
is different for different light sources. even sunlight has different intensities
rather than being even across the entire vis. spectrum.
I will have the relevent information up on the website later today or tomorrow.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/ws_fall0..._fall2002.html
we have been covering the EMS in class this last couple of weeks.
actually, I do have a gif that shows what happens to the EMS from the sun when it
hits earth, including what happens to visible light 25 meters and 100 meters under
water. sorry, nothing 18 inches down. if you want it, I will send it to you, send
request to
Ingrid

leading the reader to think the relative
amplitudes at all frequencies were the same, and just the overall
intensity was lower, when you actually meant that all the lights had
components in all the frequencies at varying amplitudes. I wonder if
fluorescents actually have any nulls?!?

It would be instructive to see a chart of sunlight spectrum vs. amplitude
recorded underwater at a depth of about 18". Are you aware of anyone
having done this? I imagine there would be a somewhat linear attenuation
of the longer wavelengths making it shift red. Then someone could invent
a fully submerged light (variable of course) with a thermostat, to double
as a heater and plant-spectra light source (and we could all throw away
our light hoods). It might need a small stainless steel heat sink above
water if the total BTUs were more than what was needed to heat the tank,
but that's a small technical problem :o)

NetMax ...wandering mind again

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

[email protected] 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Awesome Aquarium Light

nothing like personal experience to negate the rules of physics. Ingrid

"Agitator_" wrote:

All I can say is that if Florescent Lights re-created the same spectrum as
the sun, I would be in the hospital.

I have terrible reactions to the sunlight, but can sit under Florescent
lighta all day without any problems. However, if I sit too close to my
turtle's Repti-glow FLorescent light, I get "Sun Burned"...

As far a different intensity... since I can get sunburned througha shirt,
in my car.... it is obviously not the right explaination....

CHeers :)

"NetMax" wrote in message
Thanks for the links Ingrid! I think the issue with your original
statement :
"not to mention that any run of the mill fluorescent light has the same
spectrum as the sun.... just not as intense. Ingrid"
was that it was oversimplified, leading the reader to think the relative
[...]

wrote in message
snip
I can assure everyone
that all the lights had a full spectrum with different intensities in

different
wavelengths. Ingrid

"Agitator_" wrote:

I beg your pardon???

I will will have to strongly disagree with your statement.
Your run of the mill florescent light will not even come close to
re-creating the spectrum of the sun.
They may be able to re-create the proper lighting effect, but not the
spectrum.

Take a look at the lights required for reptiles and lizards, and the

special
"Grow" lights for planted aquaria.

What a blatent statement of ignorance!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.net
endorsements or recommendations I make.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

aidanndella 23-04-2011 04:30 PM

Before you can select the type you need depending on your tank, you need to decide what fish you home in your tank. Once this is determined to get the best results, I suggest you do some research to find out their lighting requirements.

rickdamons 04-05-2011 07:50 PM

Benefits the host of aquatic plants, aquarium, and they are used in one aspect of the greatest success is that they grow up with the correct equipment and lighting. To photosynthesise correct, plants need light in the red and blue spectrum.