GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bicarbonate and CO2 uptake (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/156694-bicarbonate-co2-uptake.html)

[email protected] 11-04-2007 11:43 PM

Bicarbonate and CO2 uptake

http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/PP9790499.htm

Regards,
Tom Barr

Richard Sexton 12-04-2007 05:10 AM

Bicarbonate and CO2 uptake

In article om,
wrote:
http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/PP9790499.htm

You're suggesting bicarb can be used instead of co2?

But Tom - everyone nows bicarb is good for gas.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Altum[_3_] 12-04-2007 06:09 AM

Bicarbonate and CO2 uptake

wrote:
http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/PP9790499.htm

Regards,
Tom Barr

Ugh. I'm a scientist and I can't even read that abstract. English, please?

--
My other fish and pond forum is:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Marco Schwarz 12-04-2007 08:08 AM

Bicarbonate and CO2 uptake

Hi..

http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/PP9790499.htm

Hmm.., so bicarbonate might locally be willing to allow the
plants a CO2 credit they would have to repay in CO2
(later)..? ;-)

--
cu
Marco

Richard Sexton 12-04-2007 08:49 PM

Bicarbonate and CO2 uptake

In article ,
Altum wrote:
wrote:
http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/PP9790499.htm

Regards,
Tom Barr

Ugh. I'm a scientist and I can't even read that abstract. English, please?

I took it to mean "plants will take carbon out of carbonate" which anybody whose
read the 30 year old Dupla book knows. They just quantified it.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Marco Schwarz 12-04-2007 09:25 PM

Bicarbonate and CO2 uptake

Hi..

I took it to mean "plants will take carbon out of
carbonate" which anybody whose read the 30 year old Dupla
book knows.

Hmm.., is "your" carbon == the element carbon

or

is it == CO2..?

--
cu
Marco

Richard Sexton 13-04-2007 08:56 PM

Bicarbonate and CO2 uptake

In article ,
Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

I took it to mean "plants will take carbon out of
carbonate" which anybody whose read the 30 year old Dupla
book knows.

Hmm.., is "your" carbon == the element carbon

or

is it == CO2..?

Same thing. Plants use carbon they get from anywhere - c02, bacarbonate, Flourish Excel...
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Altum[_3_] 14-04-2007 07:18 AM

Bicarbonate and CO2 uptake

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article ,
Altum wrote:
wrote:
http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/PP9790499.htm

Regards,
Tom Barr

Ugh. I'm a scientist and I can't even read that abstract. English, please?

I took it to mean "plants will take carbon out of carbonate" which anybody whose
read the 30 year old Dupla book knows. They just quantified it.

I got that far, and like you, I've known about biogenic decalcificaton
for a long time. pH crashed quite a few tanks with it. LOL! That's
what got me to try CO2 the first time. I got tired of spiking the
planted tanks with baking soda to put the carbonates and buffering back.

What I couldn't figure out was whether the plant prefers carbonate to
CO2. I wasn't sure how to interpret "The total resistance to bicarbonate
uptake appears to be 8-12 times that for CO2 uptake presumably due to
the processes of active uptake, transport and/or conversion to CO2
involved in bicarbonate but not CO2 assimilation"

Richard Sexton 14-04-2007 10:20 AM

Bicarbonate and CO2 uptake

In article ,
Altum wrote:
I wasn't sure how to interpret "The total resistance to bicarbonate
uptake appears to be 8-12 times that for CO2 uptake presumably due to
the processes of active uptake, transport and/or conversion to CO2
involved in bicarbonate but not CO2 assimilation"

Well, let's dissect it. Nurse, scalpal...

The total resistance to bicarbonate
uptake appears to be 8-12 times that for CO2 uptake presumably due to

Ok who cares about presumably or why they think it acxts like it
does, how does it act:

The total resistance to bicarbonate
uptake appears to be 8-12 times that for CO2

I take this to mean plants can uptake CO2 8-12 times more easily than
bicarb.

But who cares, bicarb works? Cool, one more thing to play with.

~

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net