Old 20-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Mark Stone

Default [FAQ] 3-4-2003 Welcome to the Aquaria Newsgroups!

Welcome to the Aquaria Newsgroups!

1. Copyright.

The text for the Welcome (this posting), except for the copyright
paragraph, was written by Mark Stone. The Aquaria FAQs were compiled
and are maintained by Erik Olson. The articles incorporating the FAQs
were written by: Shaji Bhaskar, Gary Bishop, George Booth, Rick Clark,
Neil Frank, Bruce Hallman, Dean Hougen, Oleg Kiselev, Dustin Laurence,
Matt McCabe, Davin Milun, Thomas Narten, Erik Olson, Jeff Pfohl,
Howard Rebel, Mark A. Rosenstein, Thomas Sasala, Anne Hull Seales,
Elaine Thompson, Betsy Wilson, Don Wilson and Todd Zebert.

Erik Olson writes:

"The FAQs owe their existence to the contributors of the net, and as
such it belongs to the readers of rec.aquaria and alt.aquaria.
Articles with attributions are copyrighted by their original authors.
Copies of the FAQs can be made freely, as long as it is distributed at
no charge, and the disclaimers and the copyright notice are included.
"Much of the material for this new FAQ comes from the FAQ Working
Group. We spent nearly a year initially putting this collection of
documents together, and hope you find them useful in your aquaria
endeavors. Since the FAQ is (we hope) an evolving document, we'd
appreciate any and all suggestions for material we may have left out,
factual changes, or just comments in general. We'd also appreciate
volunteers to replace our burnt-out set of authors! Mail your comments
or requests about the FAQs to faq at thekrib.com (please use this
address for FAQ development-related topics only; pleas for help in
diagnosing your sick fish will be cheerfully ignored or redirected to
the newsgroups). Thank you."

2. What Are the Aquaria FAQs?

FAQs are answers to the Frequently Asked Questions relating to
knowledge of modern fishkeeping and general Newsgroup usage. We like
to think that the Aquaria FAQs are especially important because we are
in a hobby that deals with live animals, and as such it is imperative
that information on fishkeeping be easily available and as accurate as
modern findings dictate.

So often people buy a new aquarium and a group of fishes before doing
research into the hobby and finding out what is required to keep fish
alive and healthy. Additionally, there has always been the notion
afloat that they are "just fish" and it doesn't matter if they are
unhealthy or die. It is the goal of the FAQs to dispel this notion and
to make information relating to fishkeeping easily available and
understandable, particularly to new fishkeeping hobbyists. People that
are experienced aquarists will find a wealth of helpful information
here, too!

3. Newsgroup Usage

Included in the Aquaria FAQs is an extensive section on newsgroup
usage, written by Todd Zebert. Here you will find information on
etiquette, posting guidelines, and other helpful topics. It is very
important to read this document before posting to the *.aquaria
newsgroups!

4. Where are the FAQs located?

In years past, the entire text of the FAQs was posted periodically to
the aquaria newsgroups in addition to news.answers. However, for the
purpose of brevity and for ease of use, it has been decided to post
links to the websites containing the FAQs in the body of this
introductory message instead of the FAQs themselves.

The FAQs are located at:
http://faq.thekrib.com
http://www.actwin.com/fish/mirror/

A text version (for those using Lynx) is available at:
http://faq.thekrib.com/map.html

Non-English Versions:
Finnish: http://www.jmp.fi/~liaani/akvaario/aquafaq/ffaq.html
French: http://www.cyberaqua.org/faq
Spanish: http://faq.thekrib.com/es/
Portuguese: http://faq.thekrib.com/pt/
Italian: http://acquariofilia.hypermart.net
Korean: http://www.insamo.pe.kr/faq

5. To What Newsgroups do these FAQs apply?

The groups currently covered by these FAQs a
rec.aquaria
rec.aquaria.marketplace
rec.aquaria.misc
rec.aquaria.tech