Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Kenny Horn

Default MIrror as Tank background

Cool idea.. I might try set this up for my own tank..

make for good viewing when my male Betta notices!!

Kenny

"Richmond" wrote in message
m...
Hello Group,

I have a 55gal planted tank and I am looking for a "different"
background.
Has any one tried using a "Mirror" as your tank background. Tank might
look bigger and ....?

Thanks
Dominic
(Multi post to misc and plants group)

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Jeff Ludwig

Cool idea.. I might try set this up for my own tank..

Hmm... my friend has a 60 gallon with a mirror background, to me it just
screams for rainbow colored gravel and a bubbling treasure chest ...

I dunno, I like plain ol' boring black as a background, I just paint it
on...

Cheers,
Jeff Ludwig

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
fr0glet

"Kenny Horn" - wrote...
Cool idea.. I might try set this up for my own tank..

make for good viewing when my male Betta notices!!

I understand that prolonged exposure to mirrors can stress a male Betta
considerably. They need rest from their reflection, he won't be able to tear
himself away from the mirror as long as it's there!

hth
fr0glet

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Jim & Linda Brown

fr0glet wrote in message
"Kenny Horn" - wrote...
Cool idea.. I might try set this up for my own tank..

make for good viewing when my male Betta notices!!

I understand that prolonged exposure to mirrors can stress a male Betta
considerably. They need rest from their reflection, he won't be able to

tear
himself away from the mirror as long as it's there!

hth
fr0glet

Unless the Betta is kept in a translucent or non-reflective container, there
will be some reflection for it to flare at. A healthy Betta will flare lot
but not to the point of committing suicide. That could be a lethal defect
in its evolution. They will flare until tired, or bored, but will rest when
their back is turned or when lights are out.
A mirror back may not be to most people's liking, but to each his/her own.

Jim

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Ryan Wilson

Prolonged exposure to mirrors can hurt people too

"Kenny Horn" - wrote...

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Kenny Horn

make for good viewing when my male Betta notices!!

Was ment as more of a joke that anything else, hence the smile!!

cheers, Kenny

"Kenny Horn" - wrote...

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Scott Nichting

"Jeff Ludwig" wrote in message
Cool idea.. I might try set this up for my own tank..

Hmm... my friend has a 60 gallon with a mirror background, to me it just
screams for rainbow colored gravel and a bubbling treasure chest ...

I dunno, I like plain ol' boring black as a background, I just paint it
on...

Cheers,
Jeff Ludwig

I don't use an actual mirror on my 40g tank, but I do use the "mirror-like"
reflective side of a comercially available background. The tank is heavily
planted all across the back, and you don't even notice the reflection. All
it really does is kind of fill in some of the empty spaces with a reflection
of the plants. I think it adds some more depth that would not be there
otherwise, and is not tacky at all. The black background works, but if done
properly I think a mirror background is even better.
--
Scott Nichting