Old 20-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Kay

Default SNAILS!!!!

See,
I don't want to add loaches to a tank of breeding rams. and fry tanks.
I returned my 4 clowns due to thier size being big and my rams started
breeding. So snail eating fish are out. I tried trapping them while hand
picking them. And so far its made no difference. I am interested in your
largger snail idea though, I wonder if it works for me if I can move the
larger snails to the fry grow upt tank so the larger snails don't eat the
rams eggs?

Kay

If Had-a-Snail didn't work for you, Aquarisol won't, either. They are
basically the same thing: copper solutions. Aquarisol is a weaker
concentration, I think, so it will be useless if Had-a-Snail didn't work.

Poisoning the snails is usually a short-term solution at best, and can

cause
problems long-term. If you search Google on it, you'll find that copper
usually can't kill all the snails without killing the fish and plants,

too.
And the ones left will soon rebound in population.

I've found the best solutions to snails are natural methods: snail-eating

fish,
like loaches, or baiting/trapping/picking them out manually.

Another method I've found is, believe it or not, introducing more snails.

When
I put a half-dozen apple snails (Pomacea bridgesii, of course!) into my 29
gallon tank, the populations of pond snails, ramshorns, and MTS

plummetted. I
think the big snails simply out-competed the smaller snails for food.

They may
have eaten the other snails' eggs, too.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 07:16 AM
LeighMo

I don't want to add loaches to a tank of breeding rams. and fry tanks.
I returned my 4 clowns due to thier size being big and my rams started
breeding. So snail eating fish are out. I tried trapping them while hand
picking them. And so far its made no difference. I am interested in your
largger snail idea though, I wonder if it works for me if I can move the
larger snails to the fry grow upt tank so the larger snails don't eat the
rams eggs?

Maybe you should just live with the little snails. A lot of people
intentionally keep snails in their breeding tanks. They keep the tank clean,
and are generally too small to harm the fry. The perfect scavenger!

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Leigh, I don't have much experience with loaches but I think I will have to
go
to an LFS tomorrow. Just a question: do they not all like to disturb
substrate?
I have fertilizer tablets there so I worry a little bit... (?)

My loaches don't uproot the plants, or dig deep enough to disturb fertilizer
tabs. The corys are worse than the loaches.

However, like I said, clown loaches may chew holes in your plants. IME, they
are more destructive than snails.

You might try yoyo loaches, if you can get them. They might not be as hard on
plants as clowns.

Don't get skunk loaches. They are nasty-tempered creatures, who may harass
your other fish.

Leigh

Hi Leigh,

I went to my LFS today and even though the person there was recommending Clown
Loaches I avoided them because of what you said. However because of your
recommendation I did buy Yo-yo Loaches. I intended to purchase only one but he
changed my mind and I ended up with 3.

I will keep you informed if this "terrorist attack" eliminates my snail
population in my 90g. I don't think I will ever add a plant to my aquarium
without first keeping it a minute or two in a 20 to 1 water/bleach solution.

Thanks,

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 07:16 AM
LeighMo

However because of your
recommendation I did buy Yo-yo Loaches. I intended to purchase only one but
he
changed my mind and I ended up with 3.

Good idea. Most loaches do much better in groups.

I will keep you informed if this "terrorist attack" eliminates my snail
population in my 90g.

Try crushing a snail or two and dropping it back in the tank, so they get the
idea.

I don't think I will ever add a plant to my aquarium
without first keeping it a minute or two in a 20 to 1 water/bleach solution.

I like snails myself. I intentionally added the ones in my tanks. I even
bought some of them!

Let us know what happens. I'd be curious to find out if yoyo loaches are
better suited to planted tanks than clowns. And a lot of people report that
their algae levels increase after getting loaches. If yours do, we'll know
what the snails were eating.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"LeighMo" wrote

Try crushing a snail or two and dropping
it back in the tank, so they get the idea.

This morning when lihgts went on there were about 30 snails on the walls. I
removed some and then I crushed the rest. I have no idea where the loaches are
but my Tetra Cardinals were fighting for the crushed snails. The few which they
didn't noticed and which ended on the bottom were a meal for Amano shrimps.

Hopefully within a few days the new Yo-yo loaches will start working.

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
DDD

There are lots fish that eat snails as a control measure. It generally
requires the use of two tanks however. I breed angelfish and but agressive
males in the tank sometimes.

I really don't know what causes an outbreak other than lots of algae.

As far as control, limiting food (algae) reducing calcium (3gH) and lower pH
will inhibit shell formation. I have some large snails that can avoid the
Rasboras but most of the babies get eaten as my control however.

Drew

"Marvin Hlavac" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Aquarium salt seems a too easy
solution. But why not give it a try? Next time I'm in a fish store I'll

get
some. How much did you dose? How long did it take you to eliminate the

snail
population?

Aquarisol is not aquarium salt. It's an ich medication containing

copper. It
will kill snails and algae, as well as ich. However, copper kills

plants as
well. And it's not a permanent solution, for either algae or snails.

You
have
to correct the underlying problem: the imbalance in your tank.

Poisoning snails with copper can also cause water chemistry problems,

because
all the dead snails will rot in your tank.

Leigh

Thanks for correcting me Leigh. You just saved me an unnecessary trip to

an LFS
;-)
By the way I reduced feeding per your recent recommendation.

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com