Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
350X_Rider

Default SNAILS!!!!

If you've got too many snails, and you'd like to rid yourself of them....

Aquari-Sol....

I argued with someone who thought they knew everything, and sometimes
stubbornness is too much, so I can only give proof of what I know....

I started my tanks using AS, then stopped... got snails, asked questions,
everyone said leave them... I did.. they grew... Ive got hundreds in one
tank... few in the other...

I was over feeding the bigger tank, but not the little tank... the little
tank just got snails?!?!? not sure where from... but since I've started
using AS, no more snails.. and NO ALGAE!!!!

Just thought I'd share my thoughts....

For those of you who want to argue, take it somewhere else... This is only
my observation, proof, and recorded effort to help others... Had-A-Snail was
not used because it had a much higher concentration of Copper Sulfate,
therefore would harm plants...

--
350X_Rider
-------------------------

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C),
it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

If you do send me unsolicited e-mail I will proof-read it at a rate
of $100 per hour (4 hour minimum).

Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"350X_Rider" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Hi 350X_Rider

Tree weeks ago I had no snails. Now I have 100+ in my 360L (90g). I haven't used
any chemical yet because I haven't had a chance to find out if there is some
product on the market which does not harm plants. Aquarium salt seems a too easy
solution. But why not give it a try? Next time I'm in a fish store I'll get
some. How much did you dose? How long did it take you to eliminate the snail
population?

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Kay

Salt did nothing to help me with my snails! I tried blanched lettuce and
others with no sucess. the ramshorns are now eating my hygropheilas, when I
reduce the food.
Kay

"Marvin Hlavac" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

nk.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"Kay" wrote

Salt did nothing to help me with my snails! I tried blanched lettuce and
others with no sucess. the ramshorns are now eating my hygropheilas, when I
reduce the food.
Kay

It's time to kill them. My wife says it starts to look bad... ...too many
snails

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Kay

Same here, I can't find any info if Aquari-Sol will bother rams?

My loaches had to go back to the petstore to big, Now The Bol. Rams are
alone besides a few danios, and they are doing the breeding thing, so I'm
abit worried about that,

The snails are 90 percent red ramhorn and 10 percent pond snails in all
tanks. Oh and one tank has 6 African Dwarf Frogs.

Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
350X_Rider

[...]

My only advice is to dose as you would normally dose, but for such a large
tank, I'd use the whole danged bottle.. just kidding... on my 29g, I dosed
for a 30gallon, every time I did a water change, meaning I put enough
Aquari-Sol in the water for the whole tank... probably 1.5X more than
normal... 3 water changes, I went thru one little bottle.... but on a 10g
that has Blue Rams, and a 29g cichlid tank, I've went thru 8 bottles over a
3 month period... along with regular manual removal, now all I get are white
shells when I vacuum weekly....

In the 29g I was overfeeding also... I cut back, started dosing, and now, I
have no snails hanging out where there used to be 25 or so in each corner...

In the 10g I'm definately not overfeeding, but snails came with plants..
I've taken the plants out, replaced with plastic, started dosing and have
seen the snails try to escape when I do a water change, I think because of
the copper sulfate, they know their time is limited.... In the last few
weeks, I can visibly notice fewer snails gathering in places, yet, manual
removal is helping.....

Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Kay

350X_Rider

Thanks so much for this insight. I am doing manuel picking now about 100 a
day in the worst tank, I am goign to try this as soon as I can.

Kay
link.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
J. Toonen

Hi,

one problem with the Copper....a lot of algae eating fish will die on it!

Jos.

"350X_Rider" schreef in bericht
nk.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Aquarium salt seems a too easy
solution. But why not give it a try? Next time I'm in a fish store I'll get
some. How much did you dose? How long did it take you to eliminate the snail
population?

Aquarisol is not aquarium salt. It's an ich medication containing copper. It
will kill snails and algae, as well as ich. However, copper kills plants as
well. And it's not a permanent solution, for either algae or snails. You have
to correct the underlying problem: the imbalance in your tank.

Poisoning snails with copper can also cause water chemistry problems, because
all the dead snails will rot in your tank.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Aquarium salt seems a too easy
solution. But why not give it a try? Next time I'm in a fish store I'll get
some. How much did you dose? How long did it take you to eliminate the snail
population?

Aquarisol is not aquarium salt. It's an ich medication containing copper. It
will kill snails and algae, as well as ich. However, copper kills plants as
well. And it's not a permanent solution, for either algae or snails. You

have
to correct the underlying problem: the imbalance in your tank.

Poisoning snails with copper can also cause water chemistry problems, because
all the dead snails will rot in your tank.

Leigh

Thanks for correcting me Leigh. You just saved me an unnecessary trip to an LFS
;-)
By the way I reduced feeding per your recent recommendation.

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Same here, I can't find any info if Aquari-Sol will bother rams?

Aquarisol is more poisonous to plants and invertebrates than to fish. All
invertebrates, not just snails. So it's not a good idea if you have shrimp in
the tank.

If you don't like the look of snails, try removing them manually. They are
easy to trap. Bait them with a leaf of lettuce or slab of zucchini at night,
then pull them out in the morning.

You could also get smaller loaches, such as yoyo loaches.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

I have that I tried it , did not do a thing.

If Had-a-Snail didn't work for you, Aquarisol won't, either. They are
basically the same thing: copper solutions. Aquarisol is a weaker
concentration, I think, so it will be useless if Had-a-Snail didn't work.

Poisoning the snails is usually a short-term solution at best, and can cause
problems long-term. If you search Google on it, you'll find that copper
usually can't kill all the snails without killing the fish and plants, too.
And the ones left will soon rebound in population.

I've found the best solutions to snails are natural methods: snail-eating fish,
like loaches, or baiting/trapping/picking them out manually.

Another method I've found is, believe it or not, introducing more snails. When
I put a half-dozen apple snails (Pomacea bridgesii, of course!) into my 29
gallon tank, the populations of pond snails, ramshorns, and MTS plummetted. I
think the big snails simply out-competed the smaller snails for food. They may
have eaten the other snails' eggs, too.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

But why not use HAD-A-SNAIL which is also made by Aquarium Products. I just
wonder if my 25 amano shrimps would die as well...(?)

I would not use copper products with amano shrimp. IME, shrimp are quite
sensitive to copper. And amano shrimp are kinda pricey!

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"LeighMo" wrote in message
[...]

Leigh, I don't have much experience with loaches but I think I will have to go
to an LFS tomorrow. Just a question: do they not all like to disturb substrate?
I have fertilizer tablets there so I worry a little bit... (?)

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Leigh, I don't have much experience with loaches but I think I will have to
go
to an LFS tomorrow. Just a question: do they not all like to disturb
substrate?
I have fertilizer tablets there so I worry a little bit... (?)

My loaches don't uproot the plants, or dig deep enough to disturb fertilizer
tabs. The corys are worse than the loaches.

However, like I said, clown loaches may chew holes in your plants. IME, they
are more destructive than snails.

You might try yoyo loaches, if you can get them. They might not be as hard on
plants as clowns.

Don't get skunk loaches. They are nasty-tempered creatures, who may harass
your other fish.

Leigh