Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Sid6.7

Default Just got SAE's, how to feed

I just got 3 SAE ordered online from http://www.aquariumfish.net/
They've been ordered for two weeks and haven't heard much from
aquariumfish.net. Didn't know if they where comming or when. Had
really bad algae attrack this week that's been going on for last month
and so to save some plants by using h2o2 & cuting off half the plants
got hardly any algae for them to eat. Adding as much fertilzer as
possible and turning lights on 14 hours. Any suggestions on what to
feed them?? Treid Nutrafin Spirula tablets on bottom and on side
but they just swim by them, same thing with the otto's I've had for 3
months. The SAE are going over all the plants eating what's left
and they kind of stay together. Since I had to order on line I also
ordered 20 small fish & shrimp of differnet kinds. All are doing
great, they where eating flake food about an hour after they got in
tank. Aquariumfish.net deliveried good fish, just took a while and
didn't know for two weeks when/if they would arrive. SAE are about
2" long and skinny, for now.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Craig Brye

I don't feed mine anything. I had the SAE's and ottos in my 29 gal. for
weeks without feeding them. They are doing great and look very healthy.
Both species just swim around and eat residual algae, as my tank is almost
algae free. This is my experience, I'm sure others will offer other advice.

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:30:57 GMT, Sid6.7 wrote:

months. The SAE are going over all the plants eating what's left
and they kind of stay together. Since I had to order on line I also
ordered 20 small fish & shrimp of differnet kinds. All are doing
great, they where eating flake food about an hour after they got in

My SAEs eat flake food VERY happily. In the very beginning, I like
to force them to hunt for algae, but only for a few days. Sounds like
yours know their job well, so you don't need to force them to eat
algae. Mine eat flake food, frozen brine, bloodworms, etc like PIGS,
and still eat any spec of algae before I can even see it. My SAEs
are large, fat, and still VERY hard working.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
LeighMo

I just got 3 SAE ordered online from http://www.aquariumfish.net/
They've been ordered for two weeks and haven't heard much from
aquariumfish.net.

I got my SAEs from them, and I found them very responsive. I think they only
ship on Tuesdays, because shipping is fastest on Tuesdays. (Mondays tend to be
crazy, because of the weekend backlog of mail, and after Tuesday, you run the
risk of the fish sitting in a truck over the weekend if anything goes wrong.)
I got e-mail from them when my order was placed, telling me when they were
planning to ship. They sent another e-mail confirming the delivery date when
they sent it.

I'd have been quite annoyed if the fish didn't arrive the day they said they
would, since I took a day off work to wait for the package.

Any suggestions on what to
feed them?? Treid Nutrafin Spirula tablets on bottom and on side
but they just swim by them, same thing with the otto's I've had for 3
months.

My SAEs and otos don't seem to like spirulina tablets or algae wafers much,
though they'll eat them if they're hungry. They prefer "fresh" food, like
algae or slices of cucumber or zucchini. The SAEs also like flake, and
blackworms, once they're big enough to take on a blackworm. I buy Tetra
Spirulina Flakes for my SAEs, which they seem to like better than algae wafers
or pellets. (The ancistrus, OTOH, loves the wafers/pellets.)

However, your SAEs will probably do fine foraging for algae in your tank, at
least for a few days. I didn't feed mine for the first two weeks (following
Chuck's recipe for setting up a planted tank). They were fine. There was no
visible algae in the tank, but the SAEs got noticeably bigger and fatter, even
though I wasn't feeding them.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Craig Brye

I followed Chuck's plan as well. Worked very nicely. I don't want to give
people the impression that I starve my fish, but the bottom line is SAE's
and Ottos will do fine without supplemental foods as long as they have some
algae (adding fresh greens is also recommended from time to time). I do
have Tiger Barbs as well, and I feed them flake food and blood worms. I do
notice the SAE's do tend to like the flake food also.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Anna Hayward, Alien Visitor

Hi,
my SAE is rather omnivorous (likes bloodworms and brine shrimp), won't
touch flake and likes green algae, but not any other kind of algae
(although the hair-algae that was growing on my backdrop until yesterday
was foul and fetid and I don't blame the poor creature - I've removed
the backdrop and chucked it).

I have found he didn't eat a thing for the first few days, except the
odd bit of algae, but once he'd settled in, he eat everything pretty
much.
--
Anna Hayward, Alien Visitor
"I want a licence for my pet halibut Eric"
Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Sid6.7

Today SAE's are taking bits of flake food plus stripping algae off of
what's left.. Also put in zuchini, they ate some of that. Otto's
did too, ones so big he looks like he's going to pop. So SAE's are
safe. Thanks

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
David Wee

I have 4 Otto's (octo's?) and 3 SAE's in my 10 gallon planted. I never
feed them anything, forcing them to eat the neverending algae on the
walls and rocks. If there weren't algae in my tank, I wouldn't have them
to begin with, and if my algae problem went away, I'd feed them again.
Plus they have grown over the years (this is the fourth year i've had
them, quite a deal for never having to feed them anything throughout all 4
years!)