Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Jim Miller

Default Titration pH Tester?

Is there a titration style pH test kit available? All the ones I've seen
have you fill a vial with water to a line then put three drops of test fluid
and have you match colors.

A titration style pH tester would have you count the drops to a color change
like the KH tester I have.

tnx
jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies

Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Jeff Ludwig

Is there a titration style pH test kit available? All the ones I've seen
have you fill a vial with water to a line then put three drops of test

fluid
and have you match colors.

No, one doesn't exist. Remember, pH is the log10 of H+ concentration, so
there isn't a good linear correlation. At pH 6 there are 10 times the H+
of pH7, at pH 5 there are 100 times the H+ concentration at pH7, etc, etc.
If you need pH to better than +/- 0.2 get a PinPoint, I've seen them around
$85US.

Cheers,
Jeff Ludwig

Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Jim Miller

I may just get a PinPoint. I have trouble discerning the color changes even
when being careful about using a white background and flourescent or
sunlight as a source.

tnx
jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
news.com...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Jeff Ludwig

I may just get a PinPoint. I have trouble discerning the color changes

even
when being careful about using a white background and flourescent or
sunlight as a source.

Just some things to keep in mind; maintence is *very* important for pH
probes - they need to be calibrated at least every 6 weeks, kept very clean,
don't allow them to scale and also write down when you last replaced the
probe, they do have a rated lifetime (2 years for a decent one). Just
because it reads to 2 decimals accuracy says nothing about the precision -
I've overneutralized some solutions in the lab because I assumed the
calibration was okay.

Cheers,
Jeff Ludwig

Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Jim Miller

good points

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"Jeff Ludwig" wrote in message
news.com...

I may just get a PinPoint. I have trouble discerning the color changes

even
when being careful about using a white background and flourescent or
sunlight as a source.

Just some things to keep in mind; maintence is *very* important for pH
probes - they need to be calibrated at least every 6 weeks, kept very clean,
don't allow them to scale and also write down when you last replaced the
probe, they do have a rated lifetime (2 years for a decent one). Just
because it reads to 2 decimals accuracy says nothing about the precision -
I've overneutralized some solutions in the lab because I assumed the
calibration was okay.

Cheers,
Jeff Ludwig

soil tester results. Increasing the fertility. How? Mark Edible Gardening 5 24-07-2006 09:56 PM
Ferry Morse electronic soil tester cleaning pads Phisherman Gardening 0 28-01-2005 02:39 AM
Moisture Tester mike Orchids 2 31-10-2004 05:18 AM
Checker 1 pH tester in the fish tank? -=Almazick=- Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 07-10-2003 08:12 AM
profession ph tester oppinion wanted... Ed Lucarini Lawns 1 08-06-2003 12:56 PM