Old 20-04-2003, 06:09 AM
carmineventura

Default Airstone usage in planted tank?

Tim,

I have been told airstones DON'T mess with CO2, its water serface agitation.
Make sure water spilling from your filter is not making a big "SPLASH "

"Tim Downey" wrote in message
I have a 29 gallon tropical freshwater planted tank. This is my first
planted tank and I've been trying to read up as best as possible, but I'm
confused about airstone usage.

I've read that the airstones will knock CO2 out of the water and can thus
stunt plant growth by causing too much motion in the water. I'm concerned
that if I pull the plug on the airstones, that I'll have low O2 levels in
the water and cause distress to the fish.

Does anyone have any advice on the best configuration? Should I restrict
airflow to the airstones, cut them off entirely, or just leave them as is?

Kind regards,
-tim

Old 20-04-2003, 06:09 AM
FRBSTRD

that if I pull the plug on the airstones, that I'll have low O2 levels in
the water and cause distress to the fish.

99.999% of oxygen exchange is at the surface basicaly all the airstone does is
move water creating a current. if you like the airstone leave it but its not
necessary if you leave it just increase your co2 into the tank