Old 20-04-2003, 07:09 AM
Kate Quirk

Default cultivating amazon swords

Hi,

Two of my amazon swords recently sent out plant spikes with numerous baby
plants along them. As I don't have room in my tank for any more amazon
swords, I waited until the little plants developed roots, and then planted
them out in a plastic tub. The tub is about 20cm deep, and into it I put
some soil, some of the (in)famous jobes plant spikes, and a thin layer of
gravel, and then left it in a shady position on the patio. This was clearly
the wrong thing to do. All of the plants are looking fairly sick. The
leaves they had when planted out are dying back (which I partly expected),
but all of the new growth seems to quickly become transparent and die back
too. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, and how I can better approach it
next time?

Thanks,

Kate

Old 20-04-2003, 07:09 AM
Dave Millman

Kate Quirk wrote:

Hi,

Two of my amazon swords recently sent out plant spikes with numerous baby
plants along them. As I don't have room in my tank for any more amazon
swords, I waited until the little plants developed roots, and then planted
them out in a plastic tub. The tub is about 20cm deep, and into it I put
some soil, some of the (in)famous jobes plant spikes, and a thin layer of
gravel, and then left it in a shady position on the patio. This was clearly
the wrong thing to do. All of the plants are looking fairly sick. The
leaves they had when planted out are dying back (which I partly expected),
but all of the new growth seems to quickly become transparent and die back
too.

Kate,

Since so many commercial aquarium plants are grown emersed (out of water), I did
exactly what you did, with exactly the same results. Next stem that came up, I
planted the babies underwater and never looked back.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:09 AM
Kate Quirk

I initially had them in the sun, but when they first started dying back, I
figured that they were getting burnt. I could try putting them back in the
sun, but I really think its too hot for them. Although its only spring in
Brisbane, the days are already very hot (mid 30s), and the sun very strong -
I don't know how well adapted they are for such intense light in what is
fairly shallow water.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
The tub is about 20cm deep, and into it I put
some soil, some of the (in)famous jobes plant spikes, and a thin layer of
gravel, and then left it in a shady position on the patio.

Why a shady position? Why not a sunny position?

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 07:09 AM
Dave Millman

Kate Quirk wrote:

umm, should have mentioned that i had water in there too, sorry.

If you are saying that you plant these little guys under water, and they die, I
can't help you. As long as they are large enough to be viable on their own, I've
had no problems.

I tend to wait for the little plants to drop a thick white root as an indication
that they are viable. Once most or all have dropped a root (I usually get 3-6
per stem), I cut them all off the stem and plant them. Two weeks later I sell
them to the LFS.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:09 AM
LeighMo

I initially had them in the sun, but when they first started dying back, I
figured that they were getting burnt. I could try putting them back in the
sun, but I really think its too hot for them. Although its only spring in
Brisbane, the days are already very hot (mid 30s), and the sun very strong -
I don't know how well adapted they are for such intense light in what is
fairly shallow water.

I suppose the heat might be a problem. I doubt the light would be, though.
Since these plants grow both underwater and emersed, in the tropics.

Perhaps a larger tub would help? Might keep the temperature more stable.
Small containers can overheat rapidly.

Leigh