GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help w/Green Hair Algae (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15776-help-w-green-hair-algae.html)

Marvin Hlavac 20-04-2003 06:09 AM

Help w/Green Hair Algae

A few days ago I was adding some plants and in the process I also moved several
of my older ones. A couple of days ago I noticed on one of my sword plants some
green hair algae. I thought it would be gone within days after plants start
growing. Today it starts to look really bad and I just brought home 4 Sea's to
help.

Question: with this type of algae will it help me to turn lights off for a few
days?

thanks in advance,
Marvin

Marvin Hlavac 20-04-2003 06:09 AM

Help w/Green Hair Algae

brought home 4 Sea's to
help.

Spelling mistake, sorry, I meant *SAE*...

Marvin Hlavac 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

Help w/Green Hair Algae

Thanks Dave & Leigh & Barry,

It seems like my problem has been solved. The day I posted my question I
introduced 4 SAE's to the aquarium. This is what happened:

Next day, Tuesday: no change

Wednesday: algae 50% gone

Today, Thursday: algae 90% gone

I did have some Otto's in the tank but even though they look like they eat algae
all the time I don't really see any result. With SAE's result was very fast.
That makes me think if it makes any sense to keep Otto's. Do Ottocats eat any
type of algae SAE's don't?

thanks,
Marvin

Jamie D 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

Help w/Green Hair Algae

"Marvin Hlavac" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Thanks Dave & Leigh & Barry,

It seems like my problem has been solved. The day I posted my question I
introduced 4 SAE's to the aquarium. This is what happened:

Next day, Tuesday: no change

Wednesday: algae 50% gone

Today, Thursday: algae 90% gone

I did have some Otto's in the tank but even though they look like they eat

algae
all the time I don't really see any result. With SAE's result was very

fast.
That makes me think if it makes any sense to keep Otto's. Do Ottocats eat

any
type of algae SAE's don't?

thanks,
Marvin

Yep. Otos won't eat hair or sheet algae, but will eat spot algae (little
green spots or film on glass and decorations) as well as diatoms (brown
algae). SAE's don't eat spot algae or diatoms, so having both is worthwhile.

Jamie
~

Marvin Hlavac 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

Help w/Green Hair Algae

"Jamie D" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Jamie,

Diatoms I will most likely not have. They apparently grow where there is not
enough light. But green spot algae I did see in my tank in the past so there I
guess still is place for Otto's in here...

Update on my green hair algae: 100% gone today.

thanks,
Marvin

Dave 20-04-2003 06:11 AM

Help w/Green Hair Algae

"Marvin Hlavac" empowered the members of
e.rogers.com with this
mighty blow against the Patriarchy:

A few days ago I was adding some plants and in the process I also
moved several of my older ones. A couple of days ago I noticed on one
of my sword plants some green hair algae. I thought it would be gone
within days after plants start growing. Today it starts to look
really bad and I just brought home 4 Sea's to help.

Are you sure it's hair algae, and not beard or thread algae? What does it
look like?

http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html

A flagfish (Jordanella floridae) will take care of thread algae.