Old 20-04-2003, 06:09 AM

Default red leaves

(Sudheertivare) wrote in message ...
Brent,
This is something I had seen happen in my friend's tank and according to him
(he has had his tanks for about 8 years now), it's a healthy sign. There is
green chlorophyl, red chlorophyl and a yellow pigment in all plant leaves. I
think plant need iron (I can be wrong) to produce red chlorophyl. It has some
function which I forgot.

But I think you are doing great.
Sudheer

No such pigment as Red Chl.
Caroteniods, gennerally are red/yellow, anthrocyanins red-to purple
etc,
Chromoplast are red to blue violet etc and are mainly in fruits,
floral parts etc like Red bell peppers, carrots, reproductive
structures and are used as dispersal agents primarily.

In leaves it is generally the first two.
These pigments are present in small to large quantities in leaves
stems but are masked due to high Chl content which is green in color.
Algae pigments are similar as well, they have Chl but the other
pigmnets will mask their coloration.

Most assessory pigments do not possess Nitrogen.
Chl does possess Nitrogen.

Reduce your NO3 content and many red plant plants will get much
redder.
Add more NO3, watch your plants turn green.
Iron, light, CO2 other nutrients such PO4 etc will help make more of
the other pigments that don't need so much Nitrogen. Anything needing
a good amount of N will be reduced and limited.

But it only works within a range, too much- no response, too little
NO3 and you kill the patient(in this case, the plant).

I add most nutrients to fairly rich high levels, then control NO3
well.
5ppm of NO3 or slightly less works well but needs frequent dosing
about every 2-3 days depending on light intensity. More light = more
frequent dosing, less room for error. But get too little light and the
plant will grow well enough.

Regards,
Tom Barr