Old 02-05-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Plants loosing colour

About five weeks ago I planted a variety of plants. Some of them (not sure
of name) had a beautiful copper/red colouring, however recently the leaves
are turning green. One that I particularly like has a corn type base and the
Lilly leaves float on the surface of the water. Roots appear to be good and
I feed with Seachem Flourish Tabs - No CO2. Any ideas on how I can get the
colouring back?

Thanks - Dave

Old 02-05-2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

On May 2, 12:00 pm, "Dasco" wrote:
About five weeks ago I planted a variety of plants. Some of them (not sure
of name) had a beautiful copper/red colouring, however recently the leaves
are turning green. One that I particularly like has a corn type base and the
Lilly leaves float on the surface of the water. Roots appear to be good and
I feed with Seachem Flourish Tabs - No CO2. Any ideas on how I can get the
colouring back?

Thanks - Dave

If I remember correctly, Iron and a specific lighting level are needed
to continue the redness in red plants, at which I am the worlds
worst.......

The lilly plant you speak of, did you buy it at wal-mart?

Tabs are great, but liquid flourish could be better... see, some
plants fert from the roots, others fert from the water... depending on
your plant, you might be wasting $$ and time.... I'm not sure so don't
take my word on it...

You're in the right place, hang on, someone more smart than I will
answer... (more smart, that's like good, gooder, goodest)

RedForeman....

Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

On May 2, 12:00 pm, "Dasco" wrote:
About five weeks ago I planted a variety of plants. Some of them (not sure
of name) had a beautiful copper/red colouring, however recently the leaves
are turning green. One that I particularly like has a corn type base and the
Lilly leaves float on the surface of the water. Roots appear to be good and
I feed with Seachem Flourish Tabs - No CO2. Any ideas on how I can get the
colouring back?

Thanks - Dave

Forgot to mention, on my low light, low tech tanks, I used
Flourish Excel - a CO2 supplement of sorts...
Flourish Iron -
Flourish -

Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"RedForeman - The Origial Recipe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 2, 12:00 pm, "Dasco" wrote:
About five weeks ago I planted a variety of plants. Some of them (not
sure
of name) had a beautiful copper/red colouring, however recently the
leaves
are turning green. One that I particularly like has a corn type base and
the
Lilly leaves float on the surface of the water. Roots appear to be good
and
I feed with Seachem Flourish Tabs - No CO2. Any ideas on how I can get
the
colouring back?

Thanks - Dave

If I remember correctly, Iron and a specific lighting level are needed
to continue the redness in red plants, at which I am the worlds
worst.......

My concern at adding more Iron is that it will impact on other plants in the
aquarium, which at present are a lush green.

The lilly plant you speak of, did you buy it at wal-mart?

No - It was a UK supplier - can't remember the name at present - service and
deleivery was excellent.

Tabs are great, but liquid flourish could be better... see, some
plants fert from the roots, others fert from the water... depending on
your plant, you might be wasting $$ and time.... I'm not sure so don't
take my word on it...

Umm.... I read somewhere that (generally speaking) plants take 80% of their
nutriants through their roots - hence the Tabs. However I have an open mind
and willing to try the liquids

You're in the right place, hang on, someone more smart than I will
answer... (more smart, that's like good, gooder, goodest)

Thanks for your reply.

RedForeman....

Old 02-05-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"RedForeman - The Origial Recipe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 2, 12:00 pm, "Dasco" wrote:
About five weeks ago I planted a variety of plants. Some of them (not
sure
of name) had a beautiful copper/red colouring, however recently the
leaves
are turning green. One that I particularly like has a corn type base and
the
Lilly leaves float on the surface of the water. Roots appear to be good
and
I feed with Seachem Flourish Tabs - No CO2. Any ideas on how I can get
the
colouring back?

Thanks - Dave

Forgot to mention, on my low light, low tech tanks, I used
Flourish Excel - a CO2 supplement of sorts...
Flourish Iron -
Flourish -

Sounds good! Do you dose as per Seachems advice?

Old 03-05-2007, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

On Wed, 2 May 2007 19:34:53 +0100, "Dasco"
wrote:

"RedForeman - The Origial Recipe" wrote in message
roups.com...
On May 2, 12:00 pm, "Dasco" wrote:
About five weeks ago I planted a variety of plants. Some of them (not
sure
of name) had a beautiful copper/red colouring, however recently the
leaves
are turning green. One that I particularly like has a corn type base and
the
Lilly leaves float on the surface of the water. Roots appear to be good
and
I feed with Seachem Flourish Tabs - No CO2. Any ideas on how I can get
the
colouring back?

Thanks - Dave

Forgot to mention, on my low light, low tech tanks, I used
Flourish Excel - a CO2 supplement of sorts...
Flourish Iron -
Flourish -

Sounds good! Do you dose as per Seachems advice?

I am a low tech 'fisher.' Keep it simple is my motto. No chemicals,
low light, no air, no charcoal. I do my weekly water changes straight
from the tap.

I have several plant types including red leaves type. (sorry, I don't
know names). I have 3 ten gallon, one 29 and one 75 gallon so it is
not just luck. The fish eat flake food, they eliminate, the plants
absorb and every one seems content. The tanks have been established
over 3 years.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Sounds good! Do you dose as per Seachems advice?- Hide quoted text -

Closely.. not as frequently, but dosing amounts are close....

I read somewhere, that there are only few chemicals that can harm fish
by 'overdosing', so I dose pretty heavily, especially before a
waterchange...

RedForeman

Old 03-05-2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Intense red coloration can usually only be sustained
with strong light.

Keep in mind as well plants show more red when they're nitrogen
deficient.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 06-05-2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article ,
Dasco wrote:
About five weeks ago I planted a variety of plants. Some of them (not sure
of name) had a beautiful copper/red colouring, however recently the leaves
are turning green. One that I particularly like has a corn type base and the
Lilly leaves float on the surface of the water. Roots appear to be good and
I feed with Seachem Flourish Tabs - No CO2. Any ideas on how I can get the
colouring back?

Plants get more red when they're nitrogen deficient. That's why they look
so great in stores.

Strong light will bring some of it back but you'll need co2 if you go
too bright. Flourish excel is a good half measure; easy to do albeit not cheap.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered User

I accept several bulb types including red leaves type. (sorry, I don't know names). I accept 3 ten gallon, one 29 and one 75 gallon so it is not just luck. The angle eat cell food, they eliminate, the plants absorb and every one seems content.
__________________
hydroponic grow lights

Old 11-08-2011, 04:34 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmilsson View Post
I accept several bulb types including red leaves type. (sorry, I don't know names). I accept 3 ten gallon, one 29 and one 75 gallon so it is not just luck. The angle eat cell food, they eliminate, the plants absorb and every one seems content.
I think we use plant growth will solve these problems
Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 AM
Registered User

i agree wihe him