Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Graham Ramsay

Default Pride & Joy

"Dave Millman" wrote
You also mention that your Nitrates are unmeasurable. When my Nitrates
dropped below 5ppm, growth slowed, and black brush algae started to
expand. Since I've begun dosing Potassium Nitrate (three months now),
growth has picked back up and BBA is nearly eliminated. This is just my
experience, of course!

Mine too Dave. I add nitrate as part of PMDD and the difference
in growth, especially when combined with CO2 is quite
marked. Thanks for the comments.

--
Graham Ramsay
Blairgowrie (UK)

Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Graham Ramsay

"BruceKGeist" wrote in message
Do you have to provide any special substrate for you crypts? That is a nice
plant!I have tried growing this plant, and was most successful when I put its
roots into a potting soil filled cut-off soda bottle. Then I burried the
bottle. This led to many algae problems, and I abandoned the effort. My crypt
looked great, but I had water chemistry problems..

Do you use plant spikes?

Good morning Bruce, thanks for the comments.
The only special treatment I've given the Crypt is to deliberately
ignore it! I read (either on this group or a website) that Crypts
did not like being moved. So when I did any periodic re-arranging
I always left the Crypt (soon Crypts) alone. From the one original
there are now half a dozen plants.
It's odd you should mention plant spikes. Up till yesterday my
answer would have been no. I'd been looking for those Jobe's
spikes that are often mentioned. I've not been able to find them,
perhaps they're not sold in the UK. Yesterday I bought some
MiracleGro spikes (for foliage plants) and I put a third of a spike
under my Lotus plants and the Aponogeton. I'll see how they do.

--
Graham Ramsay
Blairgowrie (UK)

My Pride & Joy Hose Boy Ponds (moderated) 5 16-06-2008 09:21 PM
Pride of Barbados Chuck Texas 6 22-07-2004 04:07 PM
Leaning Youpon Holly "Pride of Houston" Brian Clifton Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Leaning Youpon Holly "Pride of Houston" Brian Clifton Texas 1 21-03-2003 01:56 AM
Transplanting Pride of India Maryanne Gardening 0 13-02-2003 02:55 AM