Old 20-04-2003, 07:10 AM
cindy

Default Amquel - usable ammonia?

I don't understand how Amquel and Ammolock work/differ. I've read
that Amquel will detoxify ammonia so that it cannot harm fish but it
is still in a form that is usable to bacteria (so it will not
interfere with your bio filter). Is this also a form that plants can
use? Do Amquel and Ammolock work in the same manner? I'm not a
chemist....but if someone could please post how each of these work I
would greatly appreciate it (but keep it at the undergraduate
chemistry level, please). I've started using Amquel during water
changes (it also is a chlorine and chloramine remover) because I may
have reduced/interferred with my bio filter .....but I am unclear what
the effects may be on my plants. Also, I read that chronic use of
Amquel may alter water conductivity which may interfere with a bio
filter? Any validity to this? I plan to use it for a few months and
then gradually switch to a product that only removes
chlorine/chloramine once I am sure the bio filter has reestablished.

TIA,

Newbie making mistakes.
Old 20-04-2003, 07:10 AM
Greg T

In an email from the company which manufactures the product (which I
unfortunately can't reference right now) the author states that the
converted ammonia can be utilitized by both bacteria and plants.
Personally I've been using it for awile now with good results.

Greg Turner

Are Native River and Pond Plants Usable? BK Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 28-08-2006 05:42 PM
Amquel and Ich medication? smilla Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-03-2004 10:37 AM
Amquel vs PondAmQuel Fred Ponds 4 03-11-2003 10:12 PM
? about nessler vs salicylate and AmQuel Megan Wilson Ponds 3 09-07-2003 03:48 AM
(Cheaper) Amquel BenignVanilla Ponds 10 28-06-2003 11:32 PM