GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Newbie question : Plant identification (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15802-newbie-question-plant-identification.html)

Donovan 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

Newbie question : Plant identification

At a LFS they had a few planted thanks, the clerk working there did not
know anything about plants, although he was pretty knowledgeable about
marine setups, anyways.... In one of the planted tanks there were these
clumps of small floating plants, they were simply two small leaves joined at
a point with a tiny root hanging down. They floated on the surface in
clusters and all seemed to be the same size, about eh.. 1 or 2 cm from the
tip of one leaf to the tip of the other, does anybody happen to know what
this was? It was very established in one of the tanks, and there was a few
in the other planted tanks.

thanks

--donovan

Dinky 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

Newbie question : Plant identification

Duckweed. Avoid this plant with every fiber of your body. It is so prolific, a
tiny clump will cover the surface of your tank and block all the light before
you know it. It's a weed, pure and simple.

--
------
Billy

"Donovan" wrote in message
: At a LFS they had a few planted thanks, the clerk working there did not
: know anything about plants, although he was pretty knowledgeable about
: marine setups, anyways.... In one of the planted tanks there were these
: clumps of small floating plants, they were simply two small leaves joined at
: a point with a tiny root hanging down. They floated on the surface in
: clusters and all seemed to be the same size, about eh.. 1 or 2 cm from the
: tip of one leaf to the tip of the other, does anybody happen to know what
: this was? It was very established in one of the tanks, and there was a few
: in the other planted tanks.
:
: thanks
:
: --donovan
:
:

Aqua 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

Newbie question : Plant identification

Duckweed. Avoid this plant with every fiber of your body. It is so
prolific, a
tiny clump will cover the surface of your tank and block all the light

before
you know it. It's a weed, pure and simple.

Duckweed sometime will help you a lot. I had greed water for a long time. I
got few duckweed with some plants. I knowingly put them in my tank. Now I
have a group of them. They are really sucking extra nutrients.

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Aquatic-store.com 20-04-2003 06:11 AM

Newbie question : Plant identification

Probably salvinia, Check my website for a pick under floating plants.
Marcus

Http://www.Aquatic-Store.com