GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Photo of my overpopulated aquarium... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15803-photo-my-overpopulated-aquarium.html)

Marvin Hlavac 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

Photo of my overpopulated aquarium...

Hi all,

This is how my overpopulated aquarium looks like today. Some plants were added
over the last week. A few days ago I visited a local fish store and they had
some good size Cardinal Tetras. I couldn't resist so I bought all 21. I already
had 27 Cardinals at home so now I have 48 in my 90g...

http://onehappygirl.com/october25.jpg

Marvin

BruceKGeist 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

Photo of my overpopulated aquarium...

Beautiful shot. You have a wonderful looking tank! Your mix of plants and
fish is stunning.

You know I really love cardinal tetras. I don't think there is a more
beautiful fish -- salt or freshwater. I bought a dozen or so, but I never see
them! (I think I only have five left, but I don't know for sure!) They hide in
my tank behind plants. Every so often I get a glimpse, and that is it.

I think cardinals and angels don't mix. Though I have never seem them pick on
the cardinals, I am guessing the angels in my tank are what intimidates the
cardinals. Apparently Discus get along well with cardinals, judging from you
tank pic..

A question for you: do you have to raise a discus specially so that they are
not always hiding? I had heard that a discus raised in a bare tank is more
likely to be up front and visible within a heavily planted tank after they are
mature. Also, What temperature do you keep your water?
-Bruce

Marvin Hlavac 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

Photo of my overpopulated aquarium...

"BruceKGeist" wrote

Beautiful shot. You have a wonderful looking tank! Your mix of plants and
fish is stunning.

Thanks Bruce

You know I really love cardinal tetras. I don't think there is a more
beautiful fish -- salt or freshwater. I bought a dozen or so, but I never see
them! (I think I only have five left, but I don't know for sure!) They hide in
my tank behind plants. Every so often I get a glimpse, and that is it.

I think cardinals and angels don't mix. Though I have never seem them pick on
the cardinals, I am guessing the angels in my tank are what intimidates the
cardinals. Apparently Discus get along well with cardinals, judging from you
tank pic..

I agree Bruce, Cardinals are very beautiful. Some time ago I saw a nicely
planted aquarium with a lot of Cardinal Tetras in one of my local fish stores
(Big Al's) and that inspired me to keep them. You are right about them and
Angels though. It is just like Leigh writes, too: they will disappear one by one
over night :-(

A question for you: do you have to raise a discus specially so that they are
not always hiding? I had heard that a discus raised in a bare tank is more
likely to be up front and visible within a heavily planted tank after they are
mature. Also, What temperature do you keep your water?
-Bruce

I read that, too. I bought mine from a store a few weeks ago and had no problems
like that though. It hasn't been shy and eats from day one. Temperature is 30C
or 86F.

Marvin

Marlin 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

Photo of my overpopulated aquarium...

Another benefit to keeping cardinals with the discus is that they both like
the same water parameters, especially important is the higher temperatures.

Marlin