Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Ross Vandegrift

Default Vs: Plants growing twisted and horizontal.

In article , Tiinanen wrote:
Go and see how this H. polysperma is growing:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...tegory=0&vol=2
&id=66

"View of the Sunset Hygrow growing across the substrate. It is assumed that
the 220 watts of CF lighting is causing the hygro & zosterifolia to grow
this way." The tank is 378L (100 gallon).

My sunset doesn't grow like this quite to the degree in this picture,
but just 40 watts over my 20gal is enough to cause my sunset hygrow to
try to spread out horizonally.

I've noticed I can control it - When the plant sends roots out from
partway up the stem, if I clip them off, the plant continues growing
normally.

But, if I let them go too long, and they end up anchored in the gravel,
the plant pulls itself down a bit and starts growing another stalk from
where the new root grew from. The key, I imagine, to getting a carpet
of Hygro like this, would be to encourage root growth, and then allow
the new roots to grow into the substrate.

It does look nice - maybe I'll try this!

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.