GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plants for large driftwood (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15809-plants-large-driftwood.html)

Scott Nichting 20-04-2003 07:10 AM

Plants for large driftwood

I've got a large piece of driftwood in my tank that comes to about 5 inches
below the water surface at it's highest point. It is a very bright spot in
my tank and difficult to shade. Been having some trouble with algae at just
this spot and I would like to get a plant to attach to the driftwood here.
Tried Anubius, Java moss, and Java fern. They all work great on the shaded
parts of the wood, but it is just too bright at this spot for them. I've
even went so far as to try some hygro here (attached to the wood
wonderfully, but impossible to keep it looking neat). What I need is a
short plant that likes high light and will attach itself to the wood. It
should also be a slow grower, or something easily trimmed that doesn't need
replanted each trimming - like the moss. Anybody have any other
suggestions?
--
Scott Nichting

LeighMo 20-04-2003 07:10 AM

Plants for large driftwood

What I need is a
short plant that likes high light and will attach itself to the wood. It
should also be a slow grower, or something easily trimmed that doesn't need
replanted each trimming - like the moss. Anybody have any other
suggestions?

How about riccia, like Amano uses? It doesn't attach itself to wood, though;
he ties it there with fishing line or a fine hair net.

Anubias is a short plant, a slow grower, and will attach itself to wood...but
you'll likely have the same problems with algae growing on it that you're
currently having with the wood. That's the problem with slow-growing plants.

Personally, I just accept algae growing on the driftwood as part of the natural
decor. :-)

And clown pl*cos do a pretty good job of keeping driftwood clear of algae. I
hope mine leave the clumps of "fur" algae. I like those!

Leigh

Scott Nichting 20-04-2003 07:10 AM

Plants for large driftwood

"LeighMo" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Leigh, I haven't tried Riccia yet, I'll give it a go. If that
doesn't work, maybe I'll have to learn to accept the algae as well. I guess
I just don't like the thought of any algae in my tank! The pl*co might also
be worth a try. Thanks!
--
Scott Nichting