Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
cindy

Default HELP! What kind of algae is this and who will eat it?

It is quickly spreading all over tank
light grey in color
stringy, like hair or thread (but I though hair algae is green?)
has small balls on it (spores?), they are about the size of a period
(font size 12)
strings are long - most 1 cm but some up to an inch or so

I don't know how to post pics but if this isn't descriptive enougth
I'll learn...noticed it last week and has quickly spread to most
plants, driftwood.

Thanks.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Dinky

Hmm..not sure, but have you read http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html ??

--
------
Billy
om...
:

Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Acgelok

It is quickly spreading all over tank
light grey in color
stringy, like hair or thread (but I though hair algae is green?)
has small balls on it (spores?), they are about the size of a period
(font size 12)

Your discription sounds like black brush algae or BBA I had it 2 months ago and
was advised by this forum to get some SAE's siamese algae eaters. I did and
have had no further increase in BBA These SAE's love eating the stuff but only
the new growth I don't know of anything that will eat the old stuff so I'm
afraid you'l have to get rid of it manualy good luck and
regards Art
Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
cindy

Fungus. Most probaby means that you have to clean more and feed less.

Hmmm. I really don't think this is fungus...at least not any kind
I've ever encountered. What kind of fungus are you thinking it could
be?

TIA,

Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
LeighMo

Hmmm. I really don't think this is fungus...at least not any kind
I've ever encountered. What kind of fungus are you thinking it could
be?

I agree with Liisa. It sounds like fungus. The kind that grows in aquariums.
g Stringy white stuff, often grows on driftwood.

Is your tank newly set up? IME, fungus is more commonly a problem in new
tanks.

It's not harmful. Some fish may eat it, but it's like a temporary problem. If
your tank is new, just wait, and it will likely go away on its own.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Ghazanfar Ghori

I've got some pictures of algae..see if it looks like any of them..

http://www.aquaticscape.com 75G Algae

om...