Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Marvin Hlavac

Default Sword Fertilization Question

Hi All,

I have 100% Fluorite substrate. Is this sufficient fertilization for sword
plants? If not, does it make any sense to use TMG or any water column fertilizer
for root feeders?

If 100% Fluorite substrate is not enough what fertilizer would you recommend?

Thanks a million in advance,

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
BruceKGeist

You Probably do need to provide some supplement. A high light, CO2 injected
tank almost certainly needs supplements.

My tank's substrate is flourite, and I find I cannot do without supplements. I
am looking into supplementing my tank's nitrate as well.

Although Flourite has good iron content, there are a number of other trace
elements a fast growing collection of plants require.

Trace elements other than iron important for plant growth include Sulfur, Zinc,
Calcium, Chloride, Boron, Copper, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum, . All of
these elements are in TMG, and are components in a PMDD mixture. These
elements are also probably present in your tap water. You may be able to get
by without supplementing these; a weekly water change may be enough for you. It
depends on the growing conditions in your tank.

My plants are growing so rapidly anymore that I find I need to consider
supplementing the nitrate level. Fish waste eventually becomes nitrate in the
water column, so in mamy aquariums this nutrient is too abundent. However
changing water weekly and fast growing plants can void the water column of this
important nutrient.

-Bruce
Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Robert H

"Marvin Hlavac" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
Hi All,

I have 100% Fluorite substrate. Is this sufficient fertilization for sword
plants? If not, does it make any sense to use TMG or any water column fertilizer
for root feeders?

If 100% Fluorite substrate is not enough what fertilizer would you recommend?

Thanks a million in advance,

Flourite and Laterite provide iron, an important trace element, but
only one of many. TMG or any other liquid fertilizer provides a
balance of trace minerals, but not the major nutrients plants need,
namely nitrogen. If your substrate is less than 2 years old, then
there is not much nitrogenous mulm settled in the substrate, and
although Swords will abosorb nitrogen through their leaves in the
water, swords are also very heavy root feeders and will respond well
to nitrogen added to the substrate. This can be achieved by using
something like Jobes plant spikes for ferns, or Aquatabbs which
provide nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium: the big three nutrients
plants use in large amounts.

Robert H
www.aquabotanic.com
Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
LeighMo

I suggest Seachem Flourish Tabs. You insert them in the substrate.

That what I use in my 100% Flourite tank.

In my high-light, CO2-injected tank, I also give the swords pieces of Jobe's
spikes, to provide nitrate and phosphate.

This doesn't seem to be necessary in my moderate-light, non-injected tank.
It's kind of overpopulated; the fish probably provide enough nitrate.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I suggest Seachem Flourish Tabs. You insert them in the substrate.

That what I use in my 100% Flourite tank.

In my high-light, CO2-injected tank, I also give the swords pieces of Jobe's
spikes, to provide nitrate and phosphate.

This doesn't seem to be necessary in my moderate-light, non-injected tank.
It's kind of overpopulated; the fish probably provide enough nitrate.

Leigh

Thanks Robin, Leigh, Bruce, Robert,

I don't have to go to work tomorrow so most likely I will go to LFS to get
Seachem Flourish Tabs and also I need to buy some more plants.

I only have one concern about the Tabs. I currently use under tank heating mat
and I worry that water current created by the heater may have a negative effect
on the Tabs. I will give it a try though.

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com