Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
kush

Default DIY CO2 Question

I'm about to start a batch of yeast in a soda bottle which I'm going to use
to inject CO2 into my power head. Does anyone have an opinion on whether
it's better to feed the bubbles into the venturi or into the riser tube (no
prefilter)? I can't inject it into my canister because the gas makes it
rattle.

Also, I'm collecting horror stories about exploding DIY yeast systems to
tell my wife while I'm hooking it up (in the living room).

Oh, and I may be looking for a roommate...

Thanks,
kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Jeff Ludwig

Also, I'm collecting horror stories about exploding DIY yeast systems to
tell my wife while I'm hooking it up (in the living room).

Watch cats if you have them... No explosions but I've had two or three
tipped bottles that pumped into the tank while I was gone... creates a
bacterial bloom that takes some time to go away.

Jeff Ludwig

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Jim Miller

a much better choice than a soda bottle is a 64oz juice bottle. mine had
apple juice in it. the sides don't collapse when you pick it up, they have
built in handles and a nice wide mouth for filling.

most importantly however...they are very hard to tip over due to their full
width bottoms and lower profile.

lose the soda bottle.

drink the apple juice.

be happy!

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
kush

What a coincidence, I just got back from the basement and drilling a hole in
the top of a 64 oz. Apple & Eve bottle! Tell the truth, I only used it
because I didn't have any soda bottles around, but you're right, of course.
The downside is that it will be harder to find a place to put the bigger
bottle with all the doohickies and whatsits I've got sticking out the back
of the tank.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Steve Galupe

With my experience with DIY CO2, it's kinda hard to say how much gas is
being produce or being injected to the tank.

I'd say put it into the venturi. Much easier to remedy in case of problems.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
kush

Thanks, Steve, that's what I'm going to do for the big display tank in the
living room. My biggest worry was using an airstone and having it get
gooped-up with back-pressure resulting. I've got a 20-long in the kitchen
(small and easy to putz around with) that I put a bottle on yesterday with
an uncapped line inserted at the bottom of the riser. The impeller seems to
do a decent job of breaking up the bubbles and then blasting them back down
to the bottom of the tank. At any rate, by midafternoon my sagittaria
subulata subulata jungle and riccia rock were bubbling like crazy!

Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
kush

S'alright. And you were right - it was simple to just disconnect the bottle
and replace it with a sturdier one.

Steve Galupe wrote in message
Didn't I say it's much easier to remedy incase of problems. SORRY!