Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Dinky

Default Someone's been eating my bacopa!

Women are expected to do twice as much as men in half the time and for
no credit. Fortunately, this isn't difficult."- Charlotte Whitton (1896 - 1975)
-----
"Ross Vandegrift" wrote in message
: I've got a bunch of tetras, two swordtails, some ottos, three coryodas,
: and a bristlenose pleco. I suspect it's the swordtails, trying to eat
: hair algae off the leaves, and getting a bit, ahem, overzealous.
:
: Any idea on how to prevent it? Am I perhaps underfeeding them?
:

I'd say the bristlenose is the culprit. It might not be intentional, he must
just be biting too hard when he tries to scrape off the algae.g

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Jeff Ludwig

I'd say the bristlenose is the culprit. It might not be intentional, he

must
just be biting too hard when he tries to scrape off the algae.g

Dunno, I thought the bristlenoses were pretty good with plants... some of
the other pleccos maybe, but aren't bristlenoses lacking teeth or something
like that? Swordtails will pluck at algae but bacopa is one of the toughest
stem plants I've come across... really thick leaves, I would think your
finer leafed plants would be first to go. How is the overall health of the
bacopa and the other plants?

Cheers,
Jeff Ludwig

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Steve Galupe

What kind of tetras do you have? If you have the bigger ones like diamond
tetras or buenos aires tetras, they might be the ones. I have a bunch of
Hygros that have little bite marks on their tips/edges

I can imagine the plecos rasping on wide leafed plants but not small stem
plants. My bristlenose pleco doesn't.

To prevent it, hmmm. I might put the stem plants at the back of the tank
instead, so it won't be too obvious, otherwise I'm happy that my tetras
nibbling at them bec. that means they're having a balanced diet. My diamond
tetras breed in my tank without me doing anything special to the tank.

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
kush

I have buenos aries tetras and red-eye tetras, too. If a leaf gets ripped or
damaged on my hygro they're all over it like piranhas on a gut-shot cow.

I planted three bunches of bacopa back in August and none of it survived in
that tank. Now you've got me wondering...

kush

"you can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Da' Fishboy

The swordtails love to devour plant material along with a protein diet.
Take the swordtails out of the tank and the nibbling will stop.

The bristlenose pleco will also graze on plant material but you can feed him
cooked green beans minus any spices or butter to prevent that. Your pleco
might also enjoy some wood in his tank to gnaw on.

My two cents...

Earl

"Ross Vandegrift" wrote in message
I've got a bunch of tetras, two swordtails, some ottos, three coryodas,
and a bristlenose pleco. I suspect it's the swordtails, trying to eat
hair algae off the leaves, and getting a bit, ahem, overzealous.

Any idea on how to prevent it? Am I perhaps underfeeding them?

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.

Bacopa - deadheading Higgs Boson Gardening 2 27-05-2014 04:45 AM
Bacopa myriophylloides Richard Sexton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-12-2006 07:38 PM
Bacopa Seeds? Ron H Australia 0 31-12-2003 07:43 PM
Bacopa getting way to big (high), how should I trim? Tzeentch Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 21-11-2003 09:12 PM
Bacopa caroliniana Miguel Sanchez Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:17 AM