Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Bill Davis

Default Laterite Recipe ?

Just setting up a new tank and adding Laterite to the substrate. My existing
substrate in my old tank has none. The Laterite I purchased is the
"granular" kind. I would like to add some to my existing tank. Was not able
to get the Laterite "balls". Is there a "recipe" for making your own from
the granular Laterite? What would be the best way to add to existing
substrate in an established tank?

Thanks!

Old 20-04-2003, 07:13 AM
Haywire

The laterite is an iron/aluminium rich clay. although granular it will
dissolve in water. I laid my laterite on the bottom of the tank then
covered it with 1/8" gravel.

the laterite balls are made by wetting the granules enough so that you form
a workable clay then baking it in the oven. I think the krib has an thread
of messages on it.

om...

Old 20-04-2003, 07:13 AM
James Purchase

"Haywire" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
The laterite is an iron/aluminium rich clay. although granular it will
dissolve in water. I laid my laterite on the bottom of the tank then
covered it with 1/8" gravel.

Laterite will not dissolve in water. Anything than might dissolve would have
been leached out of the material long ago. Laterite is a highly weathered,
tropical soil which has had everything soluable leached out of it over
thousands of years due to natural weathering. Iron and aluminium are pretty
much all that is left.

It will mix with water, to form a "mud", but it doesn't dissolve.

James Purchase
Toronto

Old 20-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Haywire

hehe,

good point, it doesn't dissolve, my apologies.

"James Purchase" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
ble.rogers.com...