Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
RifRaf

Default Battling Algae - Need help identifying

I've read the Krib page but still am NOT sure of exactly what *type* I
have....

Hear are some shots of what I'm looking at:

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...biasFlower.jpg
This is on the (flower?) of my Anubias Nana

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...nubiasLeaf.jpg
This is on a leaf (there's more on the other leaves too) on the same
Anubias

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...ae/OnWalls.jpg
And this is what I'm going crazy with on the walls on the little 5
gallon tank.

On a side note while I'm in this group, what are these????
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...ts/Cabomba.jpg
The Cabomba putting out more roots????

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/c...s/JavaFern.jpg
This is a shot of the JavaFern before I changed out the substrate.
The plant was pretty bad looking when I bought it but is really
looking MUCHO better. Out of curiosity tho, what are those brown
spots/holes due to?

Setup:

5 Gallon
DIY CO2 (20-25ppm)
13W CF 12-14 hrs/day
3 Ottos, 1 Cory doing the cleaning
Amm, Nitrite are 0'd out, Nitrates appear to be below 5ppm
AQ 200 powerhead
10% water changes 2 times/week
Using AP Leaf Zone as directed on the bottle
No other nutrients used for plants.

About to buy a PO4 and Fe test kit. Levels are unknown.

Been reading that SAE's have a different meal plan than the
Ottos..didn't know that before...tank is kinda small too. Any
thoughts on adding an SAE??

Thought of adding something like an Apple snail but after finding some
good reading on snails, it gave me the impression that the snails
would DESTROY my plants. True? Would snails eat any of this algae?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Chris

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Timkatt

I had a similar problem with algae. I believe mine was caused by high
levels of PO4. I used Seachem's Phosguard to lower the PO4 and it has
brought the algae down to levels where my cleaning crew can keep it under
control. I don't know what the recommended dosage is for LeafZone but I
rarely add any fertilizer to my tank. I have a 28 US gal. tank and I add
15ml of hagen's plant gro every two or three weeks, I also have plain
gravel. I was thinking of adding a DIY CO2 injection system but my plants
are growing like wild fire so I haven't yet. If you PO4 is high I would try
to get that lowered down (mine went from over 3ppm to .3ppm in four days
with the Phosguard treatment but YMMV). Don't know about the spots on the
Java fern though, mine had something that looked similar but no where near
as bad. Hope this helps a little.

Timkatt

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
RifRaf

Thanks for the info.

I went and bought a Hagen PO4 kit and tested the tank and tap water.
Tap water was 0 and tank was something between .25 - .50 .....hard to
tell.

Still need to find out exactly where I should WANT my PO4 levels to
be.

Side note...the new addition of a SAE along with the Ottos does not
seem to be helping the plant algae problem.
I've seen the SAE eating off the plants but the algae level on them
doesn't appear to be going down.....only had the SAE for about 2 days
now tho so maybe it's still too soon to say?

Chris

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Marino Holguin

Some tips that worked for me:

1.- Avoid exposure to sunlight (even bounce-off light)

2.- Decrease input of nutrients. That includes fertilizer and fish
food.

3.- Increase the volume and frequency of water changes.

4.- Reduce amount of fish (if possible)

5.- More plants.

6.- Strenghten your plants with CO2 injection

7.- Make sure you are providen sufficient light for the plants to take
advantage of CO2 injection, but don't overpower or run the lights on
for too long.

6.- Did you cycled your tanks before adding fish? I didn't. It took me
more than two years to control algae.

7.- I did have some beard algae, but when I added cichlids (I'm sure
its misspelled, in spanish is cíclidos, my lousy english is not
helping me here), they were gone in a couple of days (I feed
sparingly).

Hope it helps...

Marino
Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Greg T

The plant was pretty bad looking when I bought it but is really
looking MUCHO better. Out of curiosity tho, what are those brown
spots/holes due to?

Actually my fern did the same thing except no holes (just turned
mostly dark brown). Apparently after the leaves throw off the little
plantletts, the adult leaves die to give way to the younger leafs. A
natural thing...

Greg