Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Graham Ramsay

Default Aponogeton

Mine is about to flower.
Is it okay to let it?
After flowering will it go into hibernation?

--
Graham Ramsay
Blairgowrie (UK)

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Sharon Frey

"Graham Ramsay" wrote in message ...
Mine is about to flower.
Is it okay to let it?
After flowering will it go into hibernation?

Hmmm, apon hibernation? What I know for sure is Apons whether allowed
to flower or not will go through a period of dormancy. I say let it
flower and "dead head" just like you would flowering marigolds,
gazania, coreopsis, zinna, etc in an earth garden. Plucking the
withered (dead heading) flower heads sends a message to the mother
plant to produce more flowers because enough seeds were not yet
produced for proliferation of the species. Yet, no matter what us
humans do Apons will growth spurt, flower, rest (dormancy) and do it
all again if we let them. At least that is what the Apons that call
my aquaria home do.

Hope I helped,

Sharon
Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Richard J. Sexton

Mine is about to flower.
Is it okay to let it?

Yes.

After flowering will it go into hibernation?

No.

I'm non convinved Aponogetons have a built in dormancy timer; I've
only seeen them go "dormant" when they ran out of nutrients. They're
increadibly heavy feeders and in many cases in people tanks they
just use up the food stored in the corm, then whither up and die.

Given the bulbs are about a quarter, they're almsot disposable plants.

--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org
Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Cesium

My aponogeton flowered and dropped seeds, I don't think it has gone
dormant. Temperature might have something to do with it, it's about 80f.
Anyway, I'm really excited about the seeds, it's so cool to have living
organisms reproduce in artificial conditions.
-Cesium

---

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Graham Ramsay

"Cesium" wrote
My aponogeton flowered and dropped seeds, I don't think it has gone
dormant. Temperature might have something to do with it, it's about 80f.

Cool. Did you pollinate it with a cotton bud or any such thing?

--
Graham Ramsay
Blairgowrie (UK)