Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Rich Conley

Default About NUTRAFIN CO2 Natural Plant System

where did you get a CO2 tank....been thinkning of setting up CO2...but dont
want to deal with changing it every week...and possible issues with yeast
releasing alchohol in my tank....

Steve Galupe wrote:

Locally here, it's expensive. CAD$60! I got a 10lbs cylinder(w/ CO2) for
$25, needle valve for $30, and hosing and reactor for around $10. You have
an almost maintenance free CO2 system.

"Francisco Caamaño" wrote in message
.. .
I had a DIY CO2 and it kept giving me problems, has anybody used the
NUTRAFIN CO2 Natural Plant System ??? is it any good ????

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...co2system.html

Thanks ...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Dave

In , Rich Conley
empowered us with this mighty blow against the
Patriarchy:

where did you get a CO2 tank....been thinkning of setting up CO2...but
dont want to deal with changing it every week...

Aw, I only change mine every two weeks. ;-)

and possible issues
with yeast releasing alchohol in my tank....

The only way that could happen is if the mix got into the tank, and you'd
need to either kick over the container or have some strong suction at the
other end of the line to pull in the mix. Yeah, people have reported these
kinds of things happening, but they're pretty rare and very easy to avoid.

But anyway ;-) ....

http://www.wcf.com/co2iron/
Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Aqua

Recently I setup a CO2 tank. Here is the info
http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Rich Conley

Could use use a cylinder from a Paintball gun? I know most of the lower end
ones use CO2....some of the big guys use nitrogen...or compressed air....bt
most just use CO2.....what do you think?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Da' Fishboy

The fuzzy looking growth that you see is mostly likely a yeast culture. The
"spray" from the yeast culture releases a small amount of yeast spores in to
the CO2. You can see these particals dance into the water during a
release of built up CO2 gases.

I have used both aquaclear method and a hose into the intake of a power
head. I use a penguin 660R powerhead with sponge filter attached. I can
place this under the water surface and it does a great job of diffusing the
CO2 w/o to much annoying rattle. The aquaclear solution just about drove me
batty. lol

My two cents,

Earl

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
redled

In both my 10 and 55 gallon tanks I just use the upturned cup method and it
works very well. If you can figure out the right amount of surface area, you
can make it so that the CO2 level remains very constant, and there's no danger
of over injecting because any time you put in more than the cup can hold it
just bubbles out. Also, surface area of the cup, not volume, is important, so
it is easy to make a small, inconspicuous system for your tank if you use
something that's shallow at the top of your tank, like part of a tupperware
container. I put mine under the outflow of my overhang filters. I think that
the greater water flow here makes the system more efficient. Oh yeah, the
main reason why I use this method is it makes no noise.

In article , "Da' Fishboy"
wrote:
The fuzzy looking growth that you see is mostly likely a yeast culture. The
"spray" from the yeast culture releases a small amount of yeast spores in to
the CO2. You can see these particals dance into the water during a
release of built up CO2 gases.

I have used both aquaclear method and a hose into the intake of a power
head. I use a penguin 660R powerhead with sponge filter attached. I can
place this under the water surface and it does a great job of diffusing the
CO2 w/o to much annoying rattle. The aquaclear solution just about drove me
batty. lol

My two cents,

Earl
"Francisco Caamaño" wrote in message
. ..
I had a DIY CO2 and it kept giving me problems, has anybody used the
NUTRAFIN CO2 Natural Plant System ??? is it any good ????

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...co2system.html

Thanks ...

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Haywire

OK,

it's been a few days, I peaked at 7 bubbles in the "diffuser" after that my
CO2 bubbles are by-passing the "diffuser". Going to remove the plastic
diffuser and clean it, might be something near invisible blocking the outlet
for the plastic hose.

"Haywire" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Just set the unit up,

instructions say that it should start making CO2 in about 2hrs, It's been
that, pressure is quite low, but it's there it's moved down the line about
1/2 an inch. I'll keep you all posted in the next few days to see it

makes
a difference. Kit also came with fertiliser which I won't use till next
week.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
KerryA

Anyone had one of these for a while?

How long does the yeast/nutriant kit last? Anyone use the setup with a DIY
yeast setup yet??

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Haywire

packaging says 2 weeks I'm getting close to it, I haven't noticed anything
dramatic yet, may have some growth on the brazilian micro swords which is a
good thing

I don't plan on buying the yeast packs as the DIY recipes are really easy.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Bruce Butz

I just set one up tonight.LFS guy says if the
little spout at the end of the tube is not angled
just right the bubbles will bypass the diffuser.
I will let you know how mine does.

I assume the "stabilizer" is baking soda?
It does not say what type of yeast is in the
"activator" I bet it is champaign yeast if it is supposed to last 28
days.

Has anyone tried to use the diffuser with a regular 2L DIY bottle?

Bruce

http://community.webtv.net/BruBz/BrucesBeatlePage

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Philip Ash

I just got one of these today.
Isaw one working on the LFS plant tank, and was impressed by the efficiency
of the diffuser.
I can see no reason why it shouldnt work with a 2L bottle.
Probably worth investing the 15 gbp it cost to get the decent diffuser and a
'safer' introduction to CO2.
I too will use my own recipe once the sachets are used up.
Mine hasnt even started producing yet, (its only been setup 30mins lol) but
i tried blowing a bubble into my diffuser and it just seemed to stick there.
Maybe it isnt level etc yet, i will play once i start production.
We should keep exhanging info about these seeing as there are several of us
just starting out, and they are a new product and all.

Phil.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Bruce Butz

Phil: My first load was a dud,24 hours no bubbles.So I started over.This
time with half as much "stabilizer" (baking soda) as I have very hard
water. This time I got bubbles after three
hours.It's been five days and I am getting steady bubbles at the rate of
one every five seconds.
I also like the bubble counter/diffuser a lot.
After years of messing around with injecting into the filter
intake(noisy) Using cut off one ltr.
bottles with holes in them (ugly and inefficient)
I would recommend the diffuser by it's self
to others who use DIY Co2.
You can buy the diffuser by its self from Big Als.
I think it is $11.
Kind of looks cool too.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Philip Ash

"Bruce Butz" wrote in message
Phil: My first load was a dud,24 hours no bubbles.So I started over.This
time with half as much "stabilizer" (baking soda) as I have very hard
water. This time I got bubbles after three
hours.It's been five days and I am getting steady bubbles at the rate of
one every five seconds.
I also like the bubble counter/diffuser a lot.
After years of messing around with injecting into the filter
intake(noisy) Using cut off one ltr.
bottles with holes in them (ugly and inefficient)
I would recommend the diffuser by it's self
to others who use DIY Co2.
You can buy the diffuser by its self from Big Als.
I think it is $11.

Ditto. My first batch, nada. I remade a batch with half stabilser and within
2 hours nice regular bubbles.
I cleaned the diffuser under hot water , no detergent, and it flows nicely
now.
My bubbles dont seem to be getting any smaller as they reach the top though,
(as i observed at the LFS).
But they are in contact with the water for a decent amount of time. I might
still be pushing air out from the tube? It hasnt been runnig too long yet
This is the last stage of a real effort to keep some plants going properly.
I had some beard/hair algae before, which i have eliminated as well as i
can.
I have upgraded the lighting, switched to RO (i have high nitrates and
phosphates in my tap supply) and now added some CO2.
I just hope the algae doesnt come back ! I only kept two of my old plants
(Echnidorus Ozelot) and bought 20 new ones.
I also added some ProAqua plant food and halved the stocking density of
fish. Lets hope they thrive now.
I have certainly seen some growth even within the last few days.( I only
added plants on Wednesday)
And that was without CO2.

Plants have always been my weak point. Now fish, they are easy ! lol

Phil.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Cichlidiot

I got one of these on a whim the other week because I could more likely
convince my roommates to allow it than DIY. I also only wanted moderate
CO2 injection since it's for a rift lake tank. It seemed to me at first
like it wasn't producing, but then I noticed the issue. The water pressure
was just too much for the CO2 to push all the water out of the tubing. I
took a 6mL feeding syringe which was just the right size for the tubing
and used it to push all the water out. Then I pinched the line closed as
much as possible before putting it back on the canister. Within minutes, I
had bubbling going.

One thing I have noticed that deviates from the LFS setup of this system I
saw is that my bubbles get stuck mid-way up the diffuser. I'm not
complaining much. This allows more contact time between the CO2 and water.
I think the reason is that I don't have the diffuser perfectly straight on
the side of the glass. It is slightly tilting down on the side away from
the CO2 tubing.

I do have to say even though I'm only getting moderate CO2 injection (I
have just one unit on a 40 gal, about 2-3 bubbles per minute) I am seeing
the results. Within a couple days of putting it in, all 10-20ppm of
nitrates from the tap water were sucked away (main reason I put plants in
a rift lake tank). The crypts stopped melting and started to pearl and put
up new leaves and runners. The java ferns are putting out plantlets and
new leaves like crazy. Now a couple weeks later, my algae problem is under
wraps. There's still a thin layer of green algae on the rocks and tank
sides, but nothing near the algae mess there was at first (which was
another reason I decided to follow my whim and try this system.. at $30,
it couldn't hurt to try it to see if the algae would be controlled).

I hope to have some updated pictures on this tank's website to show the
system at work, but I need to get some film for my SLR, so it'll be a week
at least. If you want to see how the tank looked when it was freshly set
up, the URL is http://www.shwaine.com/fish_40g.html. There's been
considerable growth in the crypts (the tallest ones are just about as tall
as the rock pile now) since adding the CO2, although I may pull the
aponogeton bulbs. They just aren't happy even with the CO2 it seems.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Phil Dietz

"Philip Ash" wrote in message ...
My bubbles dont seem to be getting any smaller as they reach the top though,
(as i observed at the LFS).

Mine didn't either, until I fiddled with it.

I pushed the bubble stair-case down an inch and at a slightest of
angle.

Now the bubbles reduce in half...then in half again before exiting.
(Enter as a bean and leave as half-BBs).

The bubbles move much slower as well. I have 4 or 5 bubbles in the
device at the same time.